need advice for replacement tank

Users who are viewing this thread

john c

Reaction score
I've installed an irrigation system and need to get the right size tank or CSV to finish.

1 hp goulds pump producing 17 gmp with a 40-60 psi switch.

This is working great for the sprinklers that run at about 50 psi so the pump doesn't cycle.

However the drip irrigation uses between 2-6 gpm, and for this application I need a larger tank, with a discharge that would allow it to cycle less frequently. The drip irrigation would run at most 20-30 minutes a day at 2.5 gmp or 15 minutes at 5 rpm, as two stations can be run at the same time.

So for a 17 gpm pump I would need a 17 gallon discharge capacity, however would rather not spend that much just for the drip irrigation. I've also researched the CSV, and would appreciate any suggestions for either a tank or CSV. I also have an 9 gallon tank that could be used with a CSV. I like the concept of the CSV and using a much smaller tank but concerned about loss of pressure for the sprinkler heads, or more trouble shooting, needing a bigger tank anyway.

thanks for any suggestions!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You don't need a larger tank. A CSV will keep the pump from cycling as long as you are using more than 1 GPM. The CSV1A will have about 8 PSI friction loss when running 17 GPM. So your sprinkler system would be working at 42 PSI, or you can make the sprinkler nozzles a little smaller or use one less sprinkler per zone to keep the pressure at 50. You could use one of the CSV150 valves that does not have that friction loss, but you need to install the CSV1's in a place where a small drip won't hurt if it develops. These valves are normally installed inside the well casing, in a valve box, or some other place outside the house.

john c

Reaction score
(not sure if double posting)

I ordered a CSV1. It's a shallow well pump located outside. Looking forward to using the CSV and avoiding buying a $450 tank that might last 10 years. Not sure how it works but based on so many recommendations it looks very promising.

I'm assuming I'll need to move the pressure switch to the other side of the CSV to avoid the pump fluttering on and off? So the CSV would be between the 40/60 pressure switch and pump?

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, but you will still need a 4 gallon or bigger pressure tank at the pressure switch.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I also have an 9 gallon tank that could be used with a CSV.

I thought the 17 GPM Goulds pump was a submersible. The CSV will work fine with a jet pump, but like you said the pressure switch (or at least the sensing line) has to be on the tank side of the CSV not the pump side.

john c

Reaction score
I thought the 17 GPM Goulds pump was a submersible. The CSV will work fine with a jet pump, but like you said the pressure switch (or at least the sensing line) has to be on the tank side of the CSV not the pump side.

The pump is just a regular 1 hp jet pump. I'm on the coast of South Carolina and the ground water is only four feet down. I think the specs for the pump say it produces that much if the water is close to the surface, and a well point for each 1/4 hp of pump.

Thanks again for responding, valveman. I've read dozens of your post and looking forward to using the valve. My pump and little 7 or 9 gallon tank has held up 10 years so will just keep using that same size. Good thing I returned a new 20 gallon tank to Lowes because not only was it too small at 6 gallons discharge for what I needed, but it was also already had water in it when it was brand new, and would have taken me several months to find out. (And yes it was at the correct pressure and fittings) I was in the process of searching for a new tank when I read some post about the CSV. Glad I found it, and delighted not having a huge tank up against my house!

john c

Reaction score
The CSV is working! Ordered it on Monday, arrived Wednesday with free shipping, installed it yesterday, and adjusted it today. The sprinklers are getting the same 17 GPM with the same throw, and the 4 GPM drip irrigation also works. The CSV runs at 50 PSI for the sprinklers and about 58 PSI for the drip irrigation. Maybe because they are at the end of a long run with a 20 PSI pressure regulator? The cut out says 68 but right when the pump shuts off it drops to 58 so I'm leaving it alone because everything is rated up to 70 PSI. I reduced the pressure in the tank 5 PSI below the cut in which I don't know if that is helping or not, but it's all working so I'm going to mess with it unless someone has some suggestions. I also didn't move the pressure switch and so far it's not leaking. Thanks again! This valve saved me $400 and I'm using the same 9 gallon tank as before.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks