Need advice badly, pump won't prime

Users who are viewing this thread

jm1414

Reaction score
TO Mr Texas Wellman and other pump expert, please help me!!

I've exhausted pretty much everything I can think of to get water back and if I can't resolve my problem I am left with digging a well which I'd like to avoid.

Our lake 2 line jet pump lost it's prime twice recently. So we changed the foot valve, ejector and were told to replace the pump which we did too. We cleaned everything good, even the lines. Checked all the fittings for leak etc. I filled the lines going to the lake by unscrewing at the pump so I know they are full of water.

Still pump won't prime. When I connect a hose to my neighbor faucet I get pressure (50 psi). But as soon as I close it off and I try to prime pressure goes back to zero. I checked the tank and it is holding 28 psi so I assume that's good.

The only weird thing is with both lines disconnected at the pump I get no water leaking through those holes when connected to my neighbor (ext. faucet to ext. faucet). Is that normal?? There is no check valve between the pump and the house piping.

So either the new gould pump is bad or there is a leak in the 2 lines. I find it hard to believe that the line would break 4 feet down in the ground... And everything was working two weeks ago....

Really don't know what to do... very depressed living without water.... Any idea what I should do next?

Thanks in advance

Jean

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lines break, even 4 ft down. It just makes it harder.

Pictures would be a great help, but here are your options:

You've got a air bubble in the twin line setup that is hard to get out. What happens when you put water in the smaller pipe (drive pipe)? You should get water all the way back through the suction pipe, which will be the larger one. If they are both the same size just try to flush water through both of them.

You could have trash in your jet, but it should still pump, just no pressure.

Doubtful your pump is bad, but I suppose it's possible. What is the model #?

The footvalve could be stuck shut or open. I'm unsure what you mean by "won't prime". Sometimes they will prime but won't pick up or pump, and sometimes they just simply will not prime and stay full of water.

Also there could be an in-line check valve somewhere in the buried line.

When you say you can't get water out of the two holes do you mean when the tank side is pressured up no water comes out of the back of the pump where the two lines are? The pump might have a regulator on it and sometimes they won't let water back into the pump. Try pouring water directly into where the gauge is until full.

Good luck!!

jm1414

Reaction score
Thank you Mr Texas Wellman. Really appreciate you took the time to help me out here!

I actually got lucky and found a leak at a pipe connection in the lake vs 4 feet down in the soil!!! Problem solved!!! Got water!!!

You really have to experience having no water for a while to truly appreciate it!

Best to all

Jean

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks