Need advice about liabilty

Users who are viewing this thread

Meshell_45

Reaction score
Hi there some input from all you plumbers would be much appreciated. I don't want to put the blame on the wrong person.

I ordered handles to go with my updated fixtures when doing a tub surround. I checked with the store and they told me that they would work. I had two handle acrylic handles and had sent them a picture before I ordered. Well my contractor calls at the end of my bathroom remodel and says my handles do not fit. Long story short the manufacturer says that they no longer even make 2 handle valves and haven't for quite some time so the store either got wrong info from manufacturer or lied about calling them to check. The store resolutions says that my walls should have never went up before verifying. Mind you I have no idea about anything about valves of this til he calls and tells me they don't fit.

Would this be something you would verify knowing I got new handles and the valve was old? Now that I know that valves are made for specific manufacturers and models, I think that it may be should have been checked.

Now I am left with tons of new updated bronze finish fixtures and hardware and found one set that has 2 valve and matches my other faucets pretty good. The contractor is leaning towards the store being responsible and vice versa. Here I am with almost 700 invested in new hardware and faucets and towel bars hooks, shower shelves etc with lifetime warranty that do not match my old acrylic chrome handles, nor do they have bronze handles available to fit.

Are they hard to change out from plumbing access? Can it be done? I think my pipes are copper....just don't know what or who to blame, if not myself (even though I did not know) for not having him check to make sure they fit. I thought there were 2 handle and then 1 handle valves. Thank you.

Meshell_45

Reaction score
Oh and I have kerdi behind the tile, can I cut into that if need be? Ughh what a mess...I just wanted to invest in my house and make my bathroom nice...and never have to worry about finishes etc and be done with it...

Meshell_45

Reaction score
After the fact, I found out my valve is moen and I had all Delta collection. Moen makes nothing in bronze for that valve. It was build.com. They sent me new handles and a new valve. I had it in writing from sending them a picture of my handles that were on my tub before the remodel.

Meshell_45

Reaction score
I have offered to pay to have the new valve put in but now he says he is still "hopeful" it can be installed from plumbing access. I just keep thinking if I had a contract to switch out handles that they would have to be done before or after. I just wish I would have known but I didn't have a clue until after the fact... Just want to do the right thing and not hold wrong person responsible...I know its a job to do from access. Just hope it can be done. I have so much invested

Meshell_45

Reaction score
Not just money invested but I designed my tile to go with my bronze and I refuse to live with mismatched finishes with what I have invested and returning it all would be a nightmare online. I guess it will just be another lesson learned to have a contract. Thank you for your help.

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
Do I understand correctly that you want your old Moen acrylic tub handles to match your new bronze fixtures.
Are the handles indeed acrylic? In one place you said acrylic and in another you said acrylic chrome. Never heard of acrylic being chrome plated.

Last edited:

Plumber01

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is exactly why, when I'm looking at a remodel for a homeowner, I always suggest replacing/updating the plumbing. Weather it's a bathroom, kitchen or whatever remodel. If the walls are open or easily opened during the remodel process it's time to update. Especially a bathtub/shower remodel with nice, new fancy tile.

I'm assuming the "contractor" isn't a plumber and didn't use one on your project? If that's true, in his defense, he didn't know any better than you did about compatibility of the handles and it sounds like he left that up to you.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code wants an anti-scald function if the thing is a shower or a tub/shower, so there are very few two handle (hot/cold) valves out there that can meet that requirement. Most modern two-handle valves that do meet code are either volume/temperature knobs, or volume/thermostat and not just hot/cold volume controls. On some very popular older valves, aftermarket companies make new handles, but generally, handles are not generic, so one brand will not work on another.

It's hard to tear tile off of Kerdi and fix it - you pull all of the fleece off of the main sheet and thinset does NOT stick to the stuff...it gets embedded (flows) around the fleece then cures. If there's no fleece left, there's no bond. You might want to call Schluter's tech support line to see what your repair options are.

If you can't access the plumbing from behind (say through a closet or something), then you may be stuck with using a remodel plate and then install a new valve.

Meshell_45

Reaction score
I can access from behind. I have an access panel. Yeah I didn't want to cut through my waterproofing...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "liability" is on whoever ordered the parts without determining whether they were appropriate for the valves. If they were Moen or Delta, for example, the ONLY ones you could use would be from those companies, in most cases, even if something LOOKED "similar".

Meshell_45

Reaction score
I ordered them...guess it's my fault for not checking with contractor...ugh...I didn't have a clue...expensive lesson it's gonna be...

Meshell_45

Reaction score
Should have asked him we did have a short convo about one verses two valve and told him I had found two handles to go on. I figured since the store told me they were right and he didn't say anything...

I literally thought there were one valve and two...didn't have a clue they were made to go with the trim...thank you...I figured it may be my fault for not checking

Meshell_45

Reaction score
And I didn't mean liability but just feel I hired someone and we had discussion about one verses two more than once and nothing was said...then the store tells me my matching handles should fit...someone that knew this could be an issue since I had older valves I feel could have been proactive and checked. Even Delta said the store would be responsible for return, not the additional labor costs since it wasn't checked and correct valve installed. But the kicker is that delta doesn't make 2 valves anymore...why did the store tell me they checked with delta and it would work for old acrylic 2 handle valves and not tell me? I feel I am at fault for not still checking even after all that but at same time feel let down by people that knew...I'm an accountant not plumber...

I just didn't want to waste my time and effort that I have little of to fight the store about it if it is a losing battle...

Just hoping it will work...I have had a time with contractors and my bathroom and even my bronze trim is mortered down...I just want my bathroom done...and not owe more on it than my little house lol

Its a shame to spend so much to update to bronze and then have to pay a fortune maybe to update my handles from the plumbing access. This is the replacement valve I got with handles to match. Thanks!!!

http://www.faucetdirect.com/pfister...wer-trims/p1697094?uid=1697094&mobileoptout=2

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks