Need a tip on how to fix a drain line

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by merlysys, Jul 21, 2010.

1. merlysys

merlysys New Member

Concerns sewer pipe shown at links given below.
    I can see sewage water leaking from the joint at the bottom. It is the joint about half inch from the floor.
    How do I fix it?
    Is there a cement I put around it?
    If no cement what do I do? (perhaps putting some concrete around the joint?)

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2010
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

A couple of concerns I would look at is whether the line is clogged and holding water....

Also a leak at a joint like that means cut it out and fix it...
    There is no miracle cure no matter how hard Billy Mays pushed his epoxy...
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

As Redwood says, there is no patch possible to repair a leaking drain pipe, and there is likely another problem as well. A vertical drain does not hold water unless it is clogged. Therefore, for there to be a leak, there is possibly a clog that is causing water to back-up. That is fairly easy to determine for sure, just remove the clean out cap and snake the drain. The difficult part is the repair of the leaking joint. It has to be redone and this is not really a DIY project. So I would suggest you call a plumber to snake the drain and repair the leak. We DIYers often attempt projects that are beyond our abilities and end up with a mess. It's taken me many years to realize that it is often a wise move to hire a professional.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You can cut the pipe out of the fitting, and re-glue a new fitting and with pipe. You should be able to get by with just one shielded coupling for the top connection.