Need a recommendation, water softener

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by harivney, Nov 2, 2013.

1. harivney

harivney New Member

I am finally going to replace a 20+ year 9X48 autotrol 155 system (resin, green sand and potperm tank). I'm leaning towards Fleck 5600 and keeping green sand/potperm).

Would you recommend a different system?

Here is raw well water info:

Raw well water:
    Ph - 7.4
    TDS - 200
    hardness - 85.5
    Iron - 1.0
    Iron - bacteria - not tested
    Manganese - nd (not detected)
    Copper - nd
    Nitrates - nd
    sulfides - pos (positive
    Tannins - nd
  2. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

Have you heard of Greensand Plus? Instead of using KMNO4 to regen the Greensand, the plus uses chlorine pellets. I would choose a Fleck 5600 over the Autotrol 155 amytime.
  3. harivney

harivney New Member

Mialynette - thanks for the reply. Did not know about greensand plus but will look into it. Can you point me to a website that has a diagram that shows greensand and chlorine pellet setup?
    I guess the potperm tank gets replaced with a chlorine pellet tank??
    Thanks again
  4. mialynette2003

mialynette2003 Member

It is the same exact setup. Instead of using KMNO4 in the pot tank, Calcuim hypocloride pellets are used. The unit works best with a valve that can be set to a fill first.