Need a plug for a basement floor drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mortimer, Mar 27, 2009.

1. mortimer

mortimer New Member

I have a cast iron drain in the basement floor that has a hole for running a snake down the line. The hole is a bit over 1-1/2" and not threaded. I'm thinking of using a cone made of rubber or cork to plug it when not needed. Any ideas on where to get or what the part is called?
  2. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

3. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Is that what we called a test plug?
  4. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

That's what I put in to google images to pull up that pic! :cool:
  5. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

LOL I knew but could`nt think of the name untill I saw it.::D
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hole

My question would be why, if it is really a cleanout point, DOESN'T it have a thread in it?
  7. mortimer

mortimer New Member

The drain is 50 years old. It might have been threaded at one time. The normal water flow is below the clean out.

Let me see if I can find a picture...
  8. mortimer

mortimer New Member

That might work. The only issue I can think of would be the ears on the nut. Could replace it with a standard nut. Thanks!
  9. mortimer

mortimer New Member

I haven't been able to find a good picture. It is called a floor drain with concealed cleanout. This picture is somewhat similar except: 1) Trap is about 30 feet to the right and 2) pipe continues to left of drain.
  10. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

Here in Illinois it is pretty common for the clean out in a basement not to have threads in it, they install a expansion plug instead. They do make expansion plugs that are flush at the top so not to be a trip hazard. They also make a plug we call a "Dickie" plug also known as a cone plug has a rubber insert with coarse threads that inserts into the pipe and the plug which is cone shaped as it threads the tapper pushes the rubber against the wall for a tighter seal.

http://www.missionrubber.com/Products/TConeStoppers.php

[​IMG]
  11. mortimer

mortimer New Member

Sweet. That was what I was looking for. Now to find someplace that sells them. Thank you.
  12. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

The concealed cleanout would be completely useless, and redundant, unless the trap was not only at the drain, but integral with it.