Need a new toilet, Eco Drake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
(Home was built in the '90s.) I think I can probably tell what I've got, but if I have to replace it with a double combo wye, this job takes on a whole new character. Just how important is that?

It still works with a double fixture fitting, which I'm guessing would have been used. It does push some water out of the opposing bowl during a flush. It still works though. I don't install the double fixture fittings anymore though for that reason.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Well, I just almost-finished the first install, but I forgot about the extra height when I bought supplies, and the supply hose is a couple inches too short. Like all of my big projects, this one was started on a holiday, so I won't be able to buy another one until tomorrow (aka Black Friday). I may have one in my supply of parts, but god knows where those might be in the 30 or 40 boxes yet to be unpacked. I just poured some water in the bowl to fill the trap and will finish it tomorrow. Stay tuned.

I did inspect the waste plumbing with the old toilet off, and discovered that the bend under the closet flange doesn't go directly back toward the other toilet, but hangs an immediate left toward the east wall of the bathroom. I suspect the opposing toilet will do something similar, but where they're headed, and why they might go off parallel to each other, is anyone's guess. I'm hoping, though, that they'll be far enough apart as the water flows so as not to affect each other.

Not being intimately familiar with every pipe and wire in the house is a new and unpleasant experience for me.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Finished the 2nd toilet today, went a lot quicker than the first. The previous plumber (owner?) did some goofy things that I tried to correct on #1, but now I understand why he did what he did, so I just pressed on and everything went smoothly. Hardest problem was getting #3 point of contact to make contact. Easy to understand from the geometry of the tank-to-bowl connection.

#2's waste line, as suspected, took off to the north, so these 2 lines meet up somewhere on their way to the septic tank, but I don't know where. The plans I've got for the house don't include plumbing, and even what's left often doesn't look like the as-built. I have a short fiber-optic camera, but at its limit (4'), #2 was still headed north.

Bottom line for me is the two new toilets don't interfere with each other at all. Job done, wife and I both happy. She said she never thought she'd say anything like that, but "It's a beautiful toilet."

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks