Need a bit of advice, just making sure I'm using the proper wye's and practices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jamie Gagne

Reaction score
Hi, been lurking for a while, working on a little project that needs to be up to code. Can someone check my layout and make sure I'm not messing anything up? This plumbing will be installed underground, all horizontal, it's not new construction so I have limited space and the clay beneath the concrete is hard as hell.

Here's my diagram - http://imgur.com/7nqnSIJ

I didn't draw in the vents, since it would have just cluttered up the drawing, and I'm pretty comfortable with those. Basically I have a line of plumbing that starts with a laundry hook-up, then a mop sink, followed by 2 showers inline and finally a toilet and vanity right before the sewer hook-up. whole run is about 38' or so. I know it needs to slope about 1/4" per foot, and I know about the vents.

Questions are as follows
  1. Is it necessary to run a 3" pipe for the whole run, even though the toilet is at the very end of the run (last item) or would 2" suffice?
  2. Am I using the Wyes properly? I didn't initially realize all the Wye's/tees/sanitary tees all have very specific uses.
  3. is it ok to run the toilet directly above the pipe and just connect straight down with the wye? (shown in the section drawing labeled 'A'
Appreciate the help guys, I really need to brush up on this plumbing stuff, there are a lot of very specific rules that I did not know existed, any resources you can recommend? I'm fine with most work, I just need a solid reference encyclopedia of plumbing or something that details all the best practices, the internet is just too clogged with opinions on very specific scenarios....(and here I am adding one more)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks