Need 10" RI, preferably round w "taller" seat

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by dca, Aug 14, 2013.

1. dca

dca New Member

I have a small 4x8 bathroom with toilet positioned in between vanity and shower. I only have a 10" RI, changing it to 12" is not an option at this point as we're on a concrete slab and have recently re-tiled the floor. Everyone I talk to says TOTO cyclone or g-max is the way to go and that seems to be confirmed on this forum. I need/want a round toilet, not because its what I prefer but I just don't have room for an elongonated one, that 2" or so depth difference makes a huge difference in this small space. Oh, and did I mention that my wife wants a "taller" seat that will be more accommodating as we (continue to) age, currently 63 & 59. I haven't found a TOTO that matches up with all of this. Interested in what mfgs/models you would suggest. Thanks.
  2. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Taller usually coincides with ADA, and an ADA toilet requires elongated. Unless it's a door swing issue, your butt is in the same place on either a round or an elongated toilet, so your knees aren't further into the room. IOW, it's hard to find a taller toilet that isn't elongated.
  4. dca

dca New Member

Thanks for the quick input. Door swing and shower access are the reason I'm leaning towards round toilet. Looks like the taller feature will just have to be sacrificed. That said any suggestions for tound 10"?
  5. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

Yeah, you're just not going to get a 10" rough-in toilet from Toto with a round bowl. The original Drake and the original Ultramax and the Promenade are the three I can think of that come with a round bowl, and neither will go on 10". The real issue for you should be "how far does the toilet protrude into the room?", not bowl shape per-se. If you can live with 28" in toilet length plus 3/4 to 1-1/8" behind the toilet (so 28-3/4 to 29-1/8), then go with the elongated Drake. You will be sitting in the same place on the toilet as with the round, you just have a little more toilet in front of you -- if that makes a difference in your thinking.

One other thought: The Aquia dual-flush CST412MF.10 -- universal height, ten inch rough-in, yeah it's "elongated", but it's only 27.5" long and extends only 3/4" behind the toilet so your in-room distance should be 28.25.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

American Standard does make a tall bowl with 10" rough in round.

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/assets/documents/amstd/spec/SpecSheet_5657.pdf

215BB.104

http://www.americanstandard-us.com/...t-Height-Round-Front-10-Rough-In-Toilet-5657/

There aren't a lot of tall and round 10" choices, but there are some you can find.

And Kohler has a comfort height round bowl in the Cimarron.

K-3851

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Cimarro...9985&pageName=globalSearch&_requestid=174302#

http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/1184500_4.pdf
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  7. Judith Lee

Judith Lee New Member

Wow. This is a timely discussion. We, too, are in search of a round bowl (because of a small bathroom) with the comfort height. It's good to know that there are some choices out there. We also have issues with clogging so am interested in how well these American Standard and Kohler flush.
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Have you read any of Terry's reviews on his commercial site? A good place to start. AS can be okay, their QC has been spotty. Kohler is one of those NIH places, and sometimes uses weird wear parts making a repair a time consuming thing, waiting on parts since they aren't stocked as often. On many of the Kohler toilets' trapways, you'll see that it makes a nearly 90-degree bend as it goes into the drain. Depending on what you're flushing, it might work fine, but things don't like to go around 90-degree bends as easily as they do around a nice curve.

Take the comment to heart about the fact that your butt is in the same place on either an elongated or a round toilet; plus, they are not all created equal...sometimes, there's very little difference in distance from the wall between an elongated and a round toilet.
  9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  10. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

If you aren't burdened with a 10" rough-in like the forum participant who started this thread, and instead have a standard 12" rough-in on which to mount your toilet, then Terry's recommendation is your move. What made the issue for the original participant extra-tough was that 10" rough-in he had.

The Toto that Terry recommends is just going to have the best quality, the simplest replacement parts, and the best flush of the group. Also, if you're in Seattle, you know who to buy it from and who to have install it -- Terry. Lucky dog that you live near him!
  11. Judith Lee

Judith Lee New Member

Thanks all of you - this was super helpful!
  12. dca

dca New Member

Follow up and Thanks!

13. wjcandee

wjcandee Wise One

You hit the nail on the head with this observation. Very good of them to do that, especially as AS quality control has been uneven. Good that you got it at a good price as well. We always recommend calling about a specific model so you can compare apples to apples on price, and because the vendor can evaluate your inquiry in light of the possibility of making a cash sale of that specific thing today. (i.e. turning inventory into cash today, something that may be important on a given day).