NEC Cycle question for GFCI..

Users who are viewing this thread

ygdron

Reaction score
At what NEC Cycle did GFCI for Bathrooms come? Also what cycle did a dedicated 20A circuit for bathrooms come?

Reason I ask, is I've seen a rental that has 2 baths and 2 bdrms all on one 15A circuit that was built in 77', and remodeled at somepoint, and need ammo to hit the landlord with.

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
1975 was the first bathroom GFCI requirement.

The 20-amp bath circuit appeared in 1999.

However, keep in mind that most jurisdictions don't adopt a Code for a few years after it's published. So the 1975 may not have been adopted in the area you are until '76, '77, even '78. I work in a few areas that are still using the '99.

As for the remodel, it may not have been required to update it, but that would have been an AHJ call.

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rental property in some jurisdictions is covered by fire and other safety codes. You might check with code enforcement or the Fire Marshal in the community.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks