NC, Greene Co: how far off ground does outdoor receptacle have to be...

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by itr674, Oct 22, 2011.

1. itr674

itr674 New Member

I'm getting ready to run wiring for five outdoor receptacle and am wondering how far off the ground they must be?
  2. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

That all depends on how high you want them mounted. There is nothing that mandates how high.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It might be prudent to keep them out of the 'splash' zone (the area where rainfall splashes back up after running off the roof) and above the normal snow load (probably not a consideration in warmer states). Then, I don't like to have to lean over too far, either!
  4. itr674

itr674 New Member

thanks, I think I will plan on 24" above mulch then...
  5. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

18 to 24 inches is what just about everybody around here mounts them. Be sure to mount them so they aren’t easily broke off. I use a 4x4 post installed at least 24 to 36 inches deep to hold them in place.

Also remember that PVC boxes and pipe will fracture easily when cold. If using PVC I highly recommend using 80 instead of 40 and nothing smaller than ¾ inch for its strength.
  6. mtne

mtne Electrician

There's no minimum height requirement for recepticals in residential applications. The only requirements are that for each dwelling at grade level there is one receptical accessible not more than 6.5" at the front and back of the dwelling.