Navien NP series tankless water heating time

Users who are viewing this thread

John41

Reaction score
We put in a Navien NPE series tankless water heater a while ago. It seems to take forever for warm water to reach our bathroom about 47 feet from heater. It has a buffer and recirculating pump. We called the service dept. yesterday and he led us through a reset of dipswitches because apparently it was only recirculating water internally. I see a little quicker arrival of hot water, but our plumber told us it would be almost instantaneous. Of course, he's the one that installed it incorrectly in the first place. It is set at 130 degrees. Thanks for any insight you have. Basically, what is a reasonable length of time for hot water to arrive in the bathroom? So far not very happy with this device.

Leon82

Reaction score
Is there a circulation run to and from the bathroom?

The water would need to return to the buffer.

If not your waiting for the hot water to replace 47 feet of pipe.

BadgerBoilerMN

Hydronic Heating Designer
Reaction score
Website
www.badgerboilerservice.com
As you stated; it only recirculates internally.

You must have an extra pipe running back to the water heater, regardless of style, or use a device made for retrofit like this.

Your plumber may have been unaware.

10 seconds is about right, but hot water any time is a blessing. I always count mine.

John41

Reaction score
We put in a Navien NPE series tankless water heater a while ago. It seems to take forever for warm water to reach our bathroom about 47 feet from heater. It has a buffer and recirculating pump. We called the service dept. yesterday and he led us through a reset of dipswitches because apparently it was only recirculating water internally. I see a little quicker arrival of hot water, but our plumber told us it would be almost instantaneous. Of course, he's the one that installed it incorrectly in the first place. It is set at 130 degrees. Thanks for any insight you have. Basically, what is a reasonable length of time for hot water to arrive in the bathroom? So far not very happy with this device.
Yes, there is a recirculation line to the bathroom

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
You should not be waiting for hot water with a dedicated, insulated recirculation line properly installed and properly set-up: PERIOD!

I have done dozens of Navien NPE series. The "A" series has the pump built in. The "S" series has no pump or buffer tank.
When a dedicated, insulated recirculation line is utilized and you still have a delay, then there must be something amiss.
There are two options for timing the recirc: There is a "learning" fuzzy logic option or just recirc utilizing the onboard aquastat as the default control .
Or timer settings if you buy and install and set the remote.
In all cases, this equipment has been loved by all our customers where we installed dedicated recirculation.
Like BadgerB said: Have your plumber out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks