Navien Ch210 error code e30

Users who are viewing this thread

Samat

Reaction score
Short-cycling is when there are many short burns per hour rather than fewer but longer burns. Ten or more burns per hour is a boiler-life shortening and efficiency robbing short-cycling disaster, under 5 burns/hour is fine, fewer than 3 is even better.

With high water volume cast iron it's almost never going to be a true short-cycling disaster, but it can often be improved quite a bit by dialing it in. And you probably have enough radiator to deliver nearly continuous burns, as outlined below. If you can drop from 25,000 ignition cycles per year to 5000 it'll do wonders for the longevity of the ignition components, and you will have saved the amount of heat blown out the venting by the 20,000 flue purges that were avoided.

To get a handle on the output of the radiators you need to estimate the total "equivalent direct radiation" (EDR) of the zone. If you look at the nomograph in that sizing document you'll see that at an average water temp (AWT) of 120F (which is about what you get with an entering water temp or "EWT" of 125F from the boiler) you get about 50 BTU/hr out of the radiators, about a third of what you get at a AWT of 17oF (EWT of ~180F).

Assuming the flush mounted rads are 5" deep and 20" high they are likely either Arco SunRads or Burnham Radiants or one of the equivalents, which run about 1 square foot EDR for every inch of width, so you're looking at 350' EDR plus a little something for the radiant floor. At 125F they're putting out about 17,500 BTU/hr, which balances just fine with the minimum-fire output of the CH210, and should be delivering pretty much continuous burns. If you crank the water temp up to more than what's needed to cover the instantaneous heat loss from the building, the thermostat gets satisfied more quickly, but it results in more burns per hour/day/year. Any of these look familiar?

100_0339.JPG
IMG_1339.JPG

With an outdoor reset control if you dial it in super-finely you can get it to run many hours per burn, or even days, until the heat loss from the house is less than the boiler's minimum fire output. When it's dialed in that well you're in mod-con nirvana- the radiators are always warm, just warm enough and never scorching, the boiler is operating at it's maximum efficiency, and it's taking the least amount of wear & tear on the boiler. (BadgerBoilerMN, a frequent poster on this site, has a system that he operates ONLY with outdoor reset- it's hard-wired to always be calling for heat, no thermostat. With the curve dialed in he's always comfortable.)

Since you have a heating history on the place you can estimate the whole house heating load at any arbitrary outdoor temperature using this methodology, and from there work backward with your EDR number to figure out the water temperature needed to deliver the heat at your 99% outside design temp, and set it up close to ideal from the get-go rather than stumbling around in the dark taking stabs at different water temps and k-curves until it kinda-sorta works-mostly. For 180F operation assume the Navien operated at an efficiency of 87%, for making the fuel-use based load calculation.
Dana
The first picture is the radiators that are on the first zone. From what I understand I want to have this fire 24/7 for the best efficiency. At 125 at the present temps it's very close to doing that in zone one. I think as it gets colder since so far we have had a very warm January I may have play with the output temp. Looks like the big difference between the two zones will not allow me to do anything about the cycling differences between the two zones.
Once I've outside temps and inside boiler output figured I guess I could just change boiler temp as outside changes and deal only with zone one. The article you linked too is very interesting but I will need some time to digest it. I have a friend who is considering getting rid of his 30year old gas boiler and going to a mod-con. He is a physics teacher and would go crazy calculating.
My problem all along has been thinking that the navien needs to run like a old fashion boiler. Boy was I wrong but with help from you guys I'm really starting to understand things. Thanks a lot. With the CH is it worth for me to get the outdoor sensor?

Jac04

Reaction score
With the CH is it worth for me to get the outdoor sensor?
I know this question was more directed at Dana, but I have the outdoor sensor on my CH-180 and the pre-programmed reset curves make it really hard to 'dial in' the best reset curve. As I said, it works OK if the outside temp is 30's or below.

The sensor is about $50-60, so it won't break the bank to get one and play around with it.

Samat

Reaction score
I know this question was more directed at Dana, but I have the outdoor sensor on my CH-180 and the pre-programmed reset curves make it really hard to 'dial in' the best reset curve. As I said, it works OK if the outside temp is 30's or below.

The sensor is about $50-60, so it won't break the bank to get one and play around with it.
I may give it a try should not be a problem hooking it up.

Jac04

Reaction score
Correct - it's easy to hook up. You remove the front cover and the wire just plugs into the control board. Finding a good spot for the sensor and running the extension wire is the toughest part. I keep the 'pigtail' plugged into the control board and I connect/disconnect the sensor outside the unit. That way, if I decide to play around with the reset I can just make the connection without having to remove the cover.

Samat

Reaction score
Can you use the outdoor sensor when using thermostats to control the boiler vs the remote controller. Do you happen to know the part number for the outdoor sensor and wire. Ones I found only list ASME models. Are they the same. I may just call Navien for the number.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Dana
The first picture is the radiators that are on the first zone. From what I understand I want to have this fire 24/7 for the best efficiency. At 125 at the present temps it's very close to doing that in zone one. I think as it gets colder since so far we have had a very warm January I may have play with the output temp. Looks like the big difference between the two zones will not allow me to do anything about the cycling differences between the two zones.
Once I've outside temps and inside boiler output figured I guess I could just change boiler temp as outside changes and deal only with zone one. The article you linked too is very interesting but I will need some time to digest it. I have a friend who is considering getting rid of his 30year old gas boiler and going to a mod-con. He is a physics teacher and would go crazy calculating.
My problem all along has been thinking that the navien needs to run like a old fashion boiler. Boy was I wrong but with help from you guys I'm really starting to understand things. Thanks a lot. With the CH is it worth for me to get the outdoor sensor?

Yes, you want it burning 24/7, but it can't when it's warm enough that the actual heat loss is less than the ~18,000 -19,000 BTU/hr minimum condensing mode output. At my house that would happen at outdoor temps in the mid-30s F, but if you run a fuel-use based heat load number you can calculate the temperature at your house is 18,000-19,000 BTU/hr. At outdoor temps above that it'll be cycling.

If you have it set up to run super-long burns when the radiator zone is calling for heat, the stubby fin-tube zone will rarely/never be calling for heat alone, so it won't short cycle very often.

The first picture rads are the Burnham Radiant style, which is still being manufactured (!). The spec on page 3 of the brochure is that has 2.25 sq ft/ per section, and the sections are 2.25" wide, so it really is 1' EDR per running inch. Those numbers are for free-standing installations, and need to be discounted if it's recessed into the wall with the plaster or trim tight to the radiator, or with less than 3/4" of convection space the back side & top of the radiator, so that the room air entering the bottom can convect behind the radiator, not just through it's interior channels. So no matter what you have at least 300' EDR in radiator, plus the radiant floor zone. With the thermal mass of the iron and water in those rads I'm not worried about short cycling even with 100 F water, even though it balances more perfectly with ~125F water. The outdoor reset need not be adjusted for a higher low-temp limit, the way it would with low-mass radiation like fin-tube.

Jac04

Reaction score
Can you use the outdoor sensor when using thermostats to control the boiler vs the remote controller. Do you happen to know the part number for the outdoor sensor and wire. Ones I found only list ASME models. Are they the same. I may just call Navien for the number.
Yes. When you hook up the sensor, the remote control is used to select a k-factor for the reset curve instead of the actual temperature. Probably best to call Navien to get the right part number, Why isn't your unit an ASME? I don't know the building codes, but I was under the impression that only the ASME units were allowed.

Samat

Reaction score
My unit was bought in 2012 and the ASME models came out later. I looked at CT regs and you need ASME if the unit is over 200,000 BTU and 160 psi and exceeds 210 F.
CH210 is below all those. 175,000 BTU, 150PSI AND 180F. So I guess it was ok to sell. Bought it from Winelson a big CT distributor. Going to call Navien tomorrow and get the correct part number and order one.

Samat

Reaction score
Ok I installed a outside temp sensor. Last night at 24 degrees the navien couldn't keep up. Thermostat was set at 70 and woke up in the morning and it was 68. That was with the outgoing temp set at 125. Have the K factor set at 1.5. Will see what happens tonight.

NY_Rob

In the Trades
Reaction score
You may have to bump it up a tad... just as an example, my ODR curve gives me 139F supply water at 24F outside and that satisfies the demand.
Of course every house is different... but it seems like you're pretty close if you maintained 68F....

Jac04

Reaction score
Ok I installed a outside temp sensor. Last night at 24 degrees the navien couldn't keep up. Thermostat was set at 70 and woke up in the morning and it was 68. That was with the outgoing temp set at 125. Have the K factor set at 1.5. Will see what happens tonight.
Per the chart, at 24F outdoor temp, k=1.5, the supply temp should be about 136F.
upload_2017-1-31_8-0-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-31_7-59-59.png
    upload_2017-1-31_7-59-59.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 305

Samat

Reaction score
Last night after watching burner temps I reset the K factor to 1.6. It went down to 20 last night and the boiler kept up stayed at 70 in the main zone. Still running in convection mode. Unit is running at about 140 at low evening outdoor temps. Running at 133 now with outside temp of 28. Beautiful snowy day. So far the ODR seems to be doing what is supposed to.

Jac04

Reaction score
How are your burn times & burns/hour looking?
Eventually, when the weather warms up, I think you are going to find the same thing that I did with the pre-programmed curves. But for now enjoy the ODR.

Samat

Reaction score
The boiler seems to be running 24 hours continuously holding the temp at 70. It doesn't seem to be shutting down and letting the circulator run. My concern now would be am I going to hurt the circulator pump by running it 24/7. It's a Taco 007-F5.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Running a Taco-007 circulator 24/7 doesn't hurt it, but it does chew through a fair amount of power.

At CT electricity pricing it will be worth eventually swapping it out for an ECM drive "smart" pump at some point, which would give you another system component for dialing in the net efficiency too. It would likely save you on the order of $35-50/year in pumping power cost, and would more than pay for itself over a 15-25 year lifecycle.

The Taco VT2218 would be a good bet:

TacoPumpCurves.jpg

^^^^At ~5' of pumping head the -007 delivers about 9 gpm (probably more flow than you need)^^^^

taco-vt2218-3.jpg

The VT2218 running the same head & flow would use half the power or less. It can be programmed to operate at delta-T (which would lower the pumping speed & power at lower water temperatures, higher at higher temperature), but even set up at fixed speed it would run about 40 watts to an -007's 70-80 watts.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
It'll be a long wait- those suckers seem to hang on forever some times!

I have an -007 running a radiant floor zone in my house that's been running at a fairly high duty cycle for the past 18-19 years, and it's not dead yet! :)

Samat

Reaction score
I happened to go down in the basement and looked at the boiler and the circulator was running temp on boiler was 94 but not running then it kicked in and brought the temp up to 115 which I assume the Outdoor Sensor is setting its in the mid 40's. Is this what you guys call short cycling? I guess it doesn't hurt anything but strange as the thermostat was not satisfied and the boiler wasn't firing.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Some boilers have a "boost" function that sets the output temp higher if it hasn't satisfied the thermostat after some longer (usually programmable) time period. I'm not sure if that's a feature of this unit. If it doesn't have a boost function that's fairly odd behavior. As long as the total burn time was over 3 minutes and it's not cycling that way a dozen times per hour it's not going to be an efficiency or longevity problem.

Samat

Reaction score
Ok here's what happens. The boiler is working sending heat through the house but when someone uses hot water the boiler lowers the temp to 120 per it's setting. When the hot water is shut off the boiler turns off with the circulator still running and the temp drops to around 100 and then the boiler kicks in and brings the temp up to whatever the k factor calls for. I don't think it worked this way before I put in the outdoor temp sensor but I haven't spent much time in the past watching the thing but I do think this is new. It sits idle with the blower running for only a couple of minutes to lower the temp so it really doesn't effect my heat output much as the radiators are still hot but very strange. I do believe befor it would just lower the temp when the hot water was on and immediately go back to heating temp. Any thoughts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks