Navien 240 water pump issues

Users who are viewing this thread

frank bombe

Reaction score
Hello im new to these combo boiler/water heaters, had new unit installed last christmas and my system failed this week flashing E001 , technican came replaced the pump inside the unit and its back up and running? pretty concerned that its not even a year old and already having issues? My home has 3 zones and the upstairs zone had issues maintaning 65 f when outside temps were in single digits, not sure how to tune this to correct that or if it was related to the pump that we just replaced?? Anyone else having these issues, we paid lot of money for the this system so far disappointed thinking should have just went with a std boiler replacement unit for almost half the cost?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Let's back it up a step.

How much of what type of radiation or baseboard do you have on each zone?

Do you have a heating history on this place with a prior boiler? If yes, with some wintertime gas or propane fill-ups with the exact meter reading /fill dates & amounts and ZIP code we/you could calculate the heat load at the 99% outside design temperature using the old boiler as a measuring instrument.

With both the heat load and the radiation figures you can calculate a couple of points on the outdoor reset curve, then tweak them in based on system behavior & comfort.

Could you post a picture of the Navien as-installed, that includes the near-boiler plumbing, circulator pumps/zone valves, expansion tank etc.?

Is yours the NCB240, or is it the NCB240E

frank bombe

Reaction score
I will take some pics, i lived in the home for 10yrs prior but last winter was exceptionally cold at times?I have no idea on the amount of baseboard we have never measured it? 48316

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Exact meter reading dates and quantities would be needed to run a fuel-use load calculation. If you used unusually low or high thermostat settings that matters too.

We can find a nearby weatherstation (say KMIUTICA5, in Shelby Hills, Utica) on degreedays.net to get the relevant weather data for the periods covered by the meter readings.

Measure the baseboard on each zone, and add it all up (by zone).

frank bombe

Reaction score
well were all fixed, the pump went bad was covered under warranty however that wasnt the reason why our house is struggling to hit set temp. currently outside temp is 15f and getting low single digits at night , upstairs zone is the worst thermostat set at 68 only hitting 64-65 on constintly, middle Zone about the same and lower home zone is fine at 68? technictian is coming tomorrow very concerned they wont be able to tune it to fix this?? will see so far very disappointed in this expensive boiler

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
The boiler has far and away enough burner to handle your heating loads, but you simply have to adjust the output temperatures so that your RADIATION can deliver the heat to the zones. This is an installation/adjustment issue, not a problem with the boiler, maybe the tech who is coming can get it right, or maybe not, but YOU can definitely do it yourself if you are willing to do the napkin math to dial it in. Hiring a tech to do all the fine tuning to get it to perfection is time consuming and expensive compared to taking the reins and just dealing with it.

This does not take hard math, and if you're willing to share the fuel use data and your ZIP code (for weather data and outside design temp purposes) I'm willing to take a shot at walking you through it.

A zone that isn't able to maintain the setpoint temperature is an indication that the zone has less radiation per BTU of load than the others. The simplest solution is to bump up the programmed output temperature, tweaking in the "outdoor reset" curve to a slightly higher level, taking it up 5F at a time until it gets there, then backing off a degree or so at a time until it can't, to get the maximum condensing efficiency out of it. You may find some of the verbiage in this bit o' bloggery useful for understanding the underlying concepts of why you would do it this way. A more expensive way to deal with it would be to add radiation sufficient to work at the same water temperatures as the other zones.

The particulars of how to set the outdoor reset parameters for the NCB 240 start on p.55.

The particulars of how to set the outdoor reset parameters for the NCB240E start on p.80.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks