Natural gas piping question

Users who are viewing this thread

safetypro2008

Reaction score
I recently moved, and my "new" home has a copper line that runs from near my family room natural gas fireplace, underground into the garage. It appears that it was intended to be a supply line for a overhead garage heater. Is it OK to use copper as a natural gas supply line? The copper doesn't appear large enough to be used as a "conduit" for something smaller and it runs underneath a concrete driveway and through a concrete floor in the garage, so it can't be pulled out to be replaced. thanks

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
In my neck of the woods the answer is no, you can not use copper for natural gas. LP gas it's ok though.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Copper is allowed for natural gas in some areas, but many areas such as here in southern California, the sulfur content of the gas is such that copper is unsuitable and not allowed.

It is also not allowed to run any natural gas pipe underground under any part of a structure. It must come up out of the ground at the foundation and run through the walls and overheads.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks