Natural Gas Odor, Bad Valve on Empire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a natural gas Empire heater (5-7 years old). A stand-up space heater. I'll be back with some photos, just realized the valve might be working (pre-edit subject)

TIA,
Molo

Last edited:

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
molo said:
The pilot blew out, and gas continued to flow. I could hear it flowing and the odor filled was strong.
Does this mean the valve is bad?

Possibly, or there might be a piece of foreign matter holding the valve open. When the thermocouple cooled, the valve should have automatically returned to its everything-normally-off state.

molo said:
I thought newer valves like this shut the gas supply off if the pilot blew, is this wrong?

Again, it is more like the valve self-closes when the thermocouple cools and releases its hold-it-open grip on the valve.

I have never had a bad thermocouple hold a valve open, but you might try a new one before spending a lot more for a new valve.

Last edited:

Molo

Reaction score
More info on Empire Heater

Upon closer inspection the valve is shutting down if the pilot blows out (I manually blew the pilot out and listened to the valve shut-down)

So, I am confused about the source of the gas odor, I will use soap to check for leaks. Apparantly there is a small valve on top of the main valve that will stick occasionally. The purpose of this valve is to let the occasional bubble of air or gas out of the main valve (according to Empire tech. support). Any ideas on where to start with the soap? Are there specific problem areas?

Also, I included a photo of this wire that is not connected. I know this is related to venting, but it is not connected, any insight on this wire would be appreciated,

TIA,
Molo

Attachments

• ventwire100_0934.jpg
    ventwire100_0934.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 486
  • valve100_0936.jpg
    valve100_0936.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 523

Phil H2

Reaction score
Start at the gas cock where the gas pipe comes out of the floor. Work your way toward the heater. Those old valves are prone to leaking.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
the wire is (not sure of proper name) a spillage sensor. If vent gas backs down the little black tab that wire is part of should turn your heater off. looks like they never hooked it up, forgot, or it was not ment for your model.

soap all joints that have gas flowing through worth taking the time

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Molo, your gonna hurt yourself or your family.
You've saved alotta money, and thats good.
Miss one detail and that could be a bomb or gradual co hazard, get a service tech or plumber in.

Molo

Reaction score
I've turned gas off at the meter, the gas company will come tomorrow to test for leaks, that is the real problem, a gas odor. There is a CO alarm next to the unit, as you know that doesn't cover un-burned fuel.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
My Close Call

Back in the early 70s I rented a home and was in the basement looking at the furnace. I saw the gas cock and thought I would try it to see how hard it might be to turn. I grabbed it and barely started to turn it and it popped off in my hand and raw gas started pouring into the basement. I replaced it and it stayed then I wrapped it with tape and called to have it fixed.

That could have popped at any time with out me knowing and boom. There goes the house and maybe me.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
molo said:
I've turned gas off at the meter, the gas company will come tomorrow to test for leaks, that is the real problem, a gas odor. There is a CO alarm next to the unit, as you know that doesn't cover un-burned fuel.

Good man, very relieved to see that.
Also, pretty sure the gas co won't charge.

Molo

Reaction score
Well, the gas guy came and put 3lbs of pressure on it. He said there was a small leak. I then (with the apliance shut-offs in the off position) put 10lbs on it and soaped all of the accesible fittings, no leak. So I have determined the leak is in the inaccesible crawl space. The gas enters the house and immediately goes into the inaccesible crawl space, only to surface at the gas heater and the gas range (only 2 appliances).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks