Natural gas line routing

Users who are viewing this thread

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
I have a natural gas line running in the attic to feed my furnace at the other end of the house. At the furnace, it drops through the ceiling down the inside of the furnace closet to the furnace valve.
I want to run a "T" off of that line in the attic down the inside of a wall so that I can install a gas stove top where an electric one is.

Is this legal? I know that I can't have a union in the gas line and it has to be black pipe. Is this legal? Tips and or ideas? Thanks!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
As long as the line is large enough to serve both appliances.
John

Ankhseeker

Reaction score
So that means that there is a BTU or CFM specification for the pipe. I will also have to get the BTU specs for the furnace and stove and see if they are together less than the pipe spec? I am pretty sure that the supply is 3/4".

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Tips and or ideas? Thanks!

Make sure your line is sized for the furnace and stove to operate at the same time. Make sure there are no leaks.

Here is a chart from the National Fuel Gas Code which shows the capacity of certain lengths and sizes of pipe.

Attachments

• close up of cap in cubic feet gas per hour.JPG
    close up of cap in cubic feet gas per hour.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,766

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Also remember that each fitting like a tee, elbow or a 45 has an equivalent length of straight pipe that has to be taken into consideration when calculating your developed length of pipe.

You should establish what the developed pipe length is. By that I mean the actual length may only be 40 feet but you have to add in any 90's or Tee's as its equivalent length of pipe. A 1/2" 90 is equal to 1.55 feet and a 1/2" Tee is equal to 3.10 feet.

So if you had say 6-90's and 1- Tee, that would be an additional 12 feet of pipe to consider for calculations

Here is part of a table. Notice how a 1/2" tee is equivalent to 3.10 feet of straight pipe.

Attachments

• aaaaa.JPG
    aaaaa.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,248
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Here is a chart from the National Fuel Gas Code which shows the capacity of certain lengths and sizes of pipe.

However, you CANNOT say, "Well, I have 30' of 1", so it has a capacity of 284 cfm, 20' of 3/4 with 188 cfm, and 10' of 1/2" which can handle 131 cfm. You have to add ALL the dimensions, including fitting equivalences, then use THAT row, (i.e., 60' for this example),a capactiy of 195 for EACH pipe size. When you do that 1" has a capacity of 195 cfm, 3/4" carries 104 cfm, and 1/2" only 50 cfm.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks