Natural Gas Line Clogged

Users who are viewing this thread

WEldred

Reaction score
Hi experts,

Background:
I had a 20-year old gas fireplace that worked fine until several years ago when I started losing pressure (though I didn't know that at the time and thought it was a regulator). Last year, I went ahead and purchased a new burner/log set. In the process of upgrading the fireplace, the installer and I discovered that the end of the gas line was completely blocked with a hard black powder. We broke up the powder, vacuumed it out, and, surprise, everything was working fine.

Fast forward to today:
It's a year later and I'm seeing similar symptoms with the new set. The pilot is fine until I turn the fireplace on, then the pilot lowers and the thermocouple shuts off the fireplace after a few minutes. I assume if I disconnect the fireplace from the pipe in the base of the hearth that I'll see the same black buildup.

My big question - what's this build up and why did the fireplace work for 20 years before it started being a problem. (Granted, I bought the house 8 years ago, so maybe it's always been a problem). I'm just trying to figure out the correct way to fix this :)

Thanks for any thoughts or pointers !

Ward

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Add a trap at the end of the line before the shut off valve.

Consider a new line as this is the pipeline itself likely deteriorating. Old age does interesting things.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks