Nat Gas Safety Shut Off??

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphy625

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a question about the valves used on residential natural gas lines. It would seem that every residential home I have ever been in has these little red-handled gas valves in front of every appliance connection point.
They look like this:
http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/category/gas-ball-valves

Is there any problem with just using a normal every day brass ball valve like one of these:
http://www.pexuniverse.com/store/category/sweat-ball-valves-c-x-c

The ball valves say 600 WOG (water oil gas) on one side and "1/2 PSI" on the other. (I'm not familiar with the 1/2 PSI designation)

Must I use the little valves with the red handles or can I just use a regular full port ball valve?

Murphy625

Reaction score
Both valves may work but the correct one is the Gas Valve.

Well that's not a very specific answer.. I was hoping for something a bit more definitive. (prepare for attitude :confused:) Its natural gas, it kills people, it blows homes up... the 600 WOG valve is either the right one or it isn't.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Maybe someone can give you you a better answer.

Gas is nothing to play with.

Why not just use the proper gas valve ?

I guess I do not get it.

Are you wanting to use the valve on a Main gas line or a appliance ?

Don't blow yourself up.

Last edited:

Murphy625

Reaction score
I do not like having to purchase things when I already have suitable items available. Since I have a dozen or so brass 600 WOG brass ball valves, I don't see a reason to go buy another valve.. I've used them on 5 PSI lines that I plumbed to a large industrial oven.. I know they'll work.. the question is, is it up to code..

I already have a 1 inch full port brass ball valve on the main line to isolate the section I am working on. My question is in regard to a safety shut off valve at the new power-vented water heater.

I am 99% sure it would pass any inspection but I just want clarification to be sure.. I see no engineering reason why it wouldn't be appropriate but that 1% is where code does not always jive with logic.

Anyone??

DonL

Reaction score
You should look in your appliance manual, It will most likely tell the proper shutoff to use.

If it states something like;

1/2 psi for indoor appliance connections per ANSI Z21.15 and CSA 9.1, 5 psi for indoor shutoff per CGA 91-002 and ASME B16.44 .

Then it will need to be rated as per them standards.

If you use the wrong valve, then it will be the inspectors call on whether to pass it or not.

Good Luck.

DonL

Reaction score
So will the ball valve pass code?

That is a answer that your local inspector needs to answer. Or it will just be a guess.

Depends if you buy lunch.

I will repeat;

"If you use the wrong valve, then it will be the inspectors call on whether to pass it or not."

Is that to hard to understand ? If I am wrong please correct me.

What is Murphy's Law ? They are both ball valves with different ratings.

Just do it because you know that you want to, Just to save a few bucks. And it will work.

Sometimes a shutoff is not required, If the appliance has a way to shut gas off without removing a cover.

Checking YOUR local code will give you a clue. I know I can not. lol

Murphy's Law has always worked against me.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks