Name the mystery tile!

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by CTWeekendWarrior, Oct 28, 2008.

1. CTWeekendWarrior

CTWeekendWarrior New Member

The picture below was taken at my cousin's house in Albany NY. The house is an older one, but I'm not sure of the exact vintage. To the right of the TP holder there is a mystery tile that we can't figure out what it is for. It has a shelf at the bottom and there is a vertical divider which makes two cubbies, the one on the left is smaller than the one on the right. There is also a slot at the top about the size of a book of matches. Is there anyone out there who has seen this before, and knows what its function is?

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

A slot at the top?
    Medicine cabinets used to come with slots for used razor blades.
    When you did a remodel, and pulled the medicine cabinet from the wall, you would see lots of old razor blades behind it.
  3. Cookie

Cookie .

Yeah, but right near the toilet paper, YIKES, lol. Maybe, it was for an extra roll? A skinny roll, :) or soap?
  4. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

You might want to post it over on the John Bridge forum. My best guess would involve cigarettes, matches, and a cup of coffee.
  5. Spare roll holder.

Landing pad for the extra roll necessary when visitors come,

Without it, your guests come back from a long trip to the bathroom saying there is no t paper in the bathroom.

-david
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tile

Since the slot was probably for used razor blades it was probably to hold a shaving mug and brush. It would be too small for a roll of toilet paper, and that would only account for one space even if it did fit.
  7. Southern Man

Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

That makes perfect sense, except for the location of the tile. I usually do my shaving while standing at the sink! LOL
  8. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

And the Answer Is...

Because I really wanted to know, I sent your pic and question to Historic Houseparts:

Sam,

Due to the placement of this accessory it may very well be a niche for smoking accessories, matches, cigarettes, ashtray. We often get bathroom accessories with integrated ashtrays, believe it or not, particularly from European bathrooms. This was in vogue in the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s even. The ultimate in multi-tasking! So that is our guess as to the use of this piece.

Chris Jones

Historic Houseparts, Inc.
    540 South Avenue
    Rochester, New York 14620​

If he ever takes it out, I call dibs.
  9. hj

shaving

Most people do, but this might have been the most unobtrusive location for it and still be accessible.
  10. Southern Man

I dunno. You know what they say about smoking while taking a gaseous crap on the toilet.... :eek:
  11. sjsmithjr

sjsmithjr Geologist

Not familiar with that one. But you know what they say about leading a horse to water...

Wanna dispute the answer to 2+2 while we're at it?

Man takes the time to get an answer to a question and you boys want to play "hang pork".
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  12. Southern Man

It was a joke, Smitty, commensurate with the levity of this thread. Fart gas has methane in it. Man takes big crap after nice beans and frank meal with chips and bean dip and three bean sides. Man drops his lit ciggy between his legs. Boom. Man wakes up in the emergency room with a toilet seat stuck to his rear. :rolleyes:
  13. Cass

Cass Plumber

A nip bottle on the left and a shot glass on the right...the slot is for the quarter that it costs to use the toilet....:D
  14. hj

methane

Since I have never seen or heard a reputable case of methane gas exploding in a sewer, (if it did it would have ignited the entire sewer sytem), that one would be hard to prove.
  15. Southern Man

http://www.terrylove.com/wwwboard/messages/240.html

http://www.inspect-ny.com/septic/septgas.htm