Name that tool

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by bens, Mar 22, 2010.

1. bens

bens New Member

Just had an embarrasing run-in with a professional plumber. Took him 5 minutes to unclog the drain I had worked at for 2 hours.
    He used a magical device I have seen before but never named...something like a high pressure plunger. It consists of an air tank he pumps and a spout end with a rubber stopper (with a hole in the middle for the blast of air to come out.)

I'm going to stop talking now since you all probably know exactly what I'm talking about already. What's it called?

Thank you!
  2. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

Search the net for "compressed air plunger" and you will find a number of products. Your local hardware store will likely sell a version that uses pre-charged compressed air canisters. While these things do work, they also pose a risk of breaking weak joints in the plumbing system or just pushing the clog further down the line (which may or not be a problem depending on how long the clog has to travel before reaching the larger runs). But on the other hand, having an auger stuck in your drainage system isn't any fun either.
  3. bens

bens New Member

Kinetic Water Ram.
    Found it....thanks!
  4. ilya

ilya In the Trades

I've borrowed one from a colleague called a "kinetic air ram". Pipes better be in good shape though.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Ahhhh the old Kinetic Water Ram. Fastest way to make a gawd awful mess that I know of