Nail thru pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

boulder_deb

Reaction score
While putting up crown molding, I've managed to nail thru the cold water supply line (to an upstairs bath - not the one being remodeled on the first floor). The hole is through one side of the pipe approximately an inch below the header. It seems that this is going to be a challenging spot to remove the section of the pipe with the hole to replace it. How do you guys deal with this?
Is there any suitable "patch" for long term?
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Deb

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It depends Deb some times we just cut the pipe on the hole and use safety items such as cool gel and flame protector cloth. Other times we cut the pipe well away from the damaged spot and sweat it in safer locations.

cool-gel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

boulder_deb

Reaction score
OK - thanks - that's sort of what I figured, but was hoping to hear something else. Sounds like a job for a professional - or risk burning down the house!

Thanks for the quick replies!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
They are rated for inside walls but they must slip over the pipe a full inch.

A good plumber may just cut it and use a repair coupling but I can't say for sure without seeing it and knowing the persons sweating skills.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I had a plumbing instructor who had a trick of drilling a small hole in copper tubing to drain water on a stubborn joint and would subsequently just sweat the hole afterwards ... is it a 15, 16 or 18 guage brad ... sweating may be an option. Just thinking outside the box.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Ish thats in a tight spot. Best to get a pro in to handle that if you are not familiar with soldering in a wall against a joist like that.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Here's the bad boy... and the itty bitty hole in the wall I made around it (trying to save the new texture if possible).

Funny story ... I had a friend that did the exact same thing. Only problem was he was befuddled at what happened and couldn't believe it (no leaks) until he had the bright idea of pulling out the brad and all hell broke loose (lol)

boulder_deb

Reaction score
That's pretty much what happened with me, 99. I actually feel lucky that I'm a rookie at crown molding too, and had to take the piece down - otherwise I never would have known until a long, and expensive time later. All hell did break loose as soon as I pulled out the nail - amazing how much squirted out as I ran to turn off the water supply!

All my previous plumbing/sweating has been in new construction - so I've had no walls to deal with before. I'll be calling someone in the morning. You guys know anyone good in the Boulder, CO area?

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I am not a pro by any means and this is not advice...
but you might be able to fashion a patch out of a short section of 1/2 tubing or a 1/2 fitting hub, cut in half. Clean the pipe and dress the inside of the patch so it fits tight to the pipe. Flux it up and sweat. Use a stainless steel pipe clamp to hold it all together while you solder.

This is only slightly less fuss than cutting the pipe and installing a repair coupling.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Soldering over the hole, cutting a piece of pipe in half and soldering it over the hole is not the proper or right way to ensure a good quality repair. Heck she could just go out and get some pro Poxy and mix some up and push it in there, or even get a pipe clamp of the right size like the one pictured below. Still is not the right way to fix this.

I would open the wall on both sides of that board the copper pipe is passing through, cut the pipe about 3 " to both sides of the board. Cut a new piece of pipe to length pas it through the hole in the board and two solder couplings. Now the flame is no where near the wood, its a proper repair that no one has to worry if it might let loose some time later. Remember with plumbing you want to do it right the first time.

repair-clamp-sewerratz-1.jpg

boulder_deb

Reaction score
Thanks again - when the pro's come tomorrow, at least I'll know what to look for in a good versus a cobbled together repair. I do want to make sure that I don't have to open up the wall after the remodel is done. I'll be sure to let you know how it all turns out.

So how do you know where the pipes are so I don't do this on another wall? Maybe the answer is simply to use shorter nails so they don't go so far thru the drywall.

ChuckS

Reaction score
Just stick a lead pencil into the hole then break off the tip. After that, wrap it in duct tape until it stops leaking.

No homeowner should ever be without duct tape.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just stick a lead pencil into the hole then break off the tip. After that, wrap it in duct tape until it stops leaking.

No homeowner should ever be without duct tape.

You forgot the super mighty putty step...
Redwood shakes his head in disbelief....

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Here is how 1 Home inspection company recommends fixing an active water leak with out turning off the water...

Fix A Water Pipe Leak

[ Family Circle Archive ]

leaky_pipe2.jpg

Plumbing: Water Pipe Leak
By Al Ubell & Label Shulmam

From article, New, Easiest Home-Repair Guide Ever
Published September 1, 1981 - Family Circle Magazine
Into everyone's life some rain must fall, so the poets say. But when the water comes from a pinhole leak in a water pipe, it's hard to look on the bright side. Although a leaky pipe may create a mess, repairing it is one of the easiest of plumbing jobs for the beginner: Why call a plumber, who may charge you $50? You can fix it yourself for pennies!
leaky_pipe2.jpg
orangebar.jpg

Utensils (Tools):
None

Ingredients (Materials):

A few round wooden toothpicks, epoxy glue, strips of cloth, 1″ wide, or gauze bandage
Instructions:

taping_pipe.jpg

It's not always necessary to turn off the main water supply to make this repair. Simply locate the pinhole leak and insert the point of a wooden toothpick into the hole, as far as it will go, and leave in place. (In some instances, two or three toothpicks bunched together may be required.) The wood of the toothpicks will swell, and the leak should stop.

• Once the leak has stopped, dry the outside of the pipe surrounding the leak.
    • Break off the excess toothpick(s).
    • Mix equal parts of epoxy glue (catalyst and resin), following the instructions on the package. Apply the epoxy around the pipe with an extra dab at the leak point.
    • Take the gauze or cloth strip and wrap it around the pipe like a bandage. Generously apply more epoxy glue around the bandage When the glue dries, your leaky pipe will be permanently fixed.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here's the bad boy... and the itty bitty hole in the wall I made around it (trying to save the new texture if possible).

If it is any consolation, doing a large patch in drywall, including texture, is almost EASIER than doing a small one like that. So don't let the drywall issue affect your decision.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

I have brazed holes closed, but that one is too close to the top plate considering the amount of heat required. Cut the tubing at the hole, slide a slip repair coupling onto the tubing, line it up again, slide the coupling up onto the other section of tubing, solder the coupling.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks