Nail gun + not looking behind joist = oops (nail hole in side of PVC fitting)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by postles, Jan 4, 2010.

1. postles

postles New Member

So, I've done something silly while dealing with water damage under a toilet. While nailing in bracing to support the new piece of subfloor, I managed to pierce a wye below the toilet where the drain line from the tub ties in. The hole I created is pretty much right at 90 degrees on the side, smack in the middle of the fitting. Am I thinking too wishfully that it might be possible to use something like JB Weld or melt the PVC with a hot putty knife, or should I go ahead and start yanking everything out? Thanks for not laughing too hard at my stupidity. Stupid truss joists.
  2. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

You're not the 1st trust me.

You need to redo the plumbing you damaged.
  3. nukeman

nukeman Nuclear Engineer

My friend is an insurance adjuster. He told me about a house that was 3 years old and the floor in the bathroom was rotted out and filled with mold. Turned out the builder didn't protect the plumbing and the drywallers put a screw into one of the CPVC supply lines. The hole was not large enough to notice the leak, but sure was enough to destroy everything in the walls.

Good thing that you caught the problem now. I would just replace instead of patching and hoping it will hold. PVC is cheap and pretty easy to work with. You'll kick yourself later if you patch it and then it starts leaking later.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

nails

Even when you DO protect the pipes, drywallers and carpenters are creative enough to STILL perforate them. A nail gun will penetrate a copper line so tightly that it might not leak for weeks or months, (In one case several years later in the builder's own home), until the nail rusts away enough for the water to start leaking.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2010
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

help

If you are going to call Billy Mays, it will be a LONG distance call.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Must be he has good connections because he is still on tv every night!!