Mystery shower valve, Price Pfister

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by pameye, Mar 13, 2012.

1. pameye

pameye New Member

My daughter just bought a house and wants to replace the faucet trim. I don't see anything to let me know the manufacturer
    of this tub/shower diverter valve. The house was built in the early 80's. Under the cold and hot water valve are shutoffs. This picture is the hot water stem. Would a picture of the valve body be a help? BTW, this is my first post, so let me know if I need to do anything else. Thanks for your help.

stem.jpg
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Picutures of the handles will help. Someone will probably recognize the diverter anyway. Stay tuned,
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It has some characteristics of a Price Pfister, now just Pfister, stem, but without pictures of the handles it is hard to be definite.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Keep in mind that trim is specific to the valve manufacturer, and with something 30+ years old, there may no longer be any new trim that would fit (you can likely find replacements for the guts, though). Then, a valve that old likely doesn't have the anti-scald technology of all new (code complient anyway) valves. So, with that in mind, maybe it would be better to consider updating the valve to something new, in the trim of choice, that would prevent inadvertent potential injury from a hot spurt of water should someone flush a toilet or something that upsets the pressure balance in the system.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  6. pameye

pameye New Member

Thanks for the input. Next time I go there, I will get more pictures.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I don't think we need more photos....the nice photo editing by terry, putting the two side by side....confirms it is the PP. When you buy a new one, the outer portion, from about 2½" mark on the ruler in the photo, is a large plastic piece. Looks weird but is the correct replacement.
  8. pameye

pameye New Member

I already got the pix so, I will add them anyway, maybe help someone else.

Thanks for all the help. Your knowledge is awesome. IMG_0449.jpg IMG_0445.jpg