Mystery Pipes and adding a hose bib

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee Jones

Reaction score
Hi folks!
I am in the planning phase of moving and adding some hose bibs. To do this, I would like to plumb into a coldwater line in the crawl space, then feed them water outside via holes drilled in the foundation. First question, am I better with PVC or CPVC? I live in the Pacific NW, so we are usually in the 40s all winter, with occasional plunges below freezing, but rarely below the 20s, and rarely for more than a week. I will also need to bury underground in the yard.

Second question. Below is a picture from my crawl space, sorry its a little grainy. I am laying on my back, but that is a copper pipe coming down through the floor boards. It is near my existing hose bib, and probably goes to the shower/toilet/sink in the bathroom. What is the purpose of this pipe? It comes down, then is capped off. Does it serve a specific purpose, or can I cut it and tap into it for my new hose bibs?

photo 1(2).jpg

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. I would use copper, not plastic.

2. Can't tell you the purpose of what you see in the pic. But you can try connecting to it - it might work.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
PVC can be used under ground but not for inside a home.

CPVC is rated for inside a home and under ground, as is copper and PEX

Lee Jones

Reaction score
1. I would use copper, not plastic.

Why copper vs cpvc? I am going to be running a total of about 30' to get from here to the exits points, and copper is ~ $13/ 10' and CPVC is $4 / 10'.
It wouldn't be that expensive, but I'm curious before I drop the extra bones.

Lee Jones

Reaction score
Hmmm...but any logic to the dislike? Unskilled DIYers like cpvc because its easier to cut and glue. Gonna have to try a little harder to convince me :)

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Gonna have to try a little harder to convince me "

Really??

Use whatever you like. You asked us a question, we give you an answer FOR FREE. Don't like the answer? ignore it and move on.

:confused:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Gonna have to try a little harder to convince me

Why? As Ben Franklin said, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still". We really do not care how you do it, we just told you how WE would do it. Quoting Frank Sinatra, "We do it our way" and get paid for it.

Reaction score
hj,

You've helped me out with the questions I've asked and I certainly do appreciate it and the time you've taken to do so. Us newbs to plumbing benefit from why something is or isn't correct so much more then "no. don't do that. Do this." Sometimes it's not as obvious to us as it is to you. Know what I mean?

Lee Jones

Reaction score

Really??

Use whatever you like. You asked us a question, we give you an answer FOR FREE. Don't like the answer? ignore it and move on.

Sorry, the smile face at the end of the statement was meant to imply it was all in good fun, guess it wasn't read that way. As JustA said, us noobs are trying to figure this stuff out and like to know the why's so that we can do it on our own in the future. I do appreciate the help, and know I can "use whatever I want", but appreciate getting to know the facts, too.

Reaction score

Really??

FOR FREE? Really guy? Does it bug you that badly that you're not making money from spreading a bit of insight when asked on a forum for DIY advise? BTW - I've done many paid jobs for people of all sorts and I always answered any questions or concerns. Not to make it seem that I was smarter then they were but to explain as best I could, WHY I was doing the job the right way even if it "cost" me another 10 minutes.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; FOR FREE? Really guy? Does it bug you that badly that you're not making money from spreading a bit of insight

IF the person called us to their house and asked the question, we would give the same answer, but it would NOT be "free". They would still have the option of doing it however they wanted to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks