Mystery CSST

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockford2000

Reaction score
I am trying to identify this CSST (see attached photo). I can see what appears to be a trademark that looks like a stylized "Tg". Any help out there?

Thanks,
R. Ford

Attachments

• Mystery CSST.jpg
    Mystery CSST.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 619

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What you see is the only unburned portion of the house and the pipe.
He's trying to figure out who he's suing... lol :D just a joke...

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I was gonna say what does it matter, it's all just a lawsuit waiting to happen but I'm feeling diplomatic this evening. :D

Rockford2000

Reaction score
There was a leak and a fire. I am just trying to figure out what happened. Before we can disassemble the problem area, we need all the interested parties present so they can participate. I do not sue. I'm an engineer, not a lawyer.

R. Ford

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Wouldn't it make more sense to find out WHY it leaked, and then have that person, or persons, there. If it was a bad connection or installation, then it is the plumber or handyman's problem, (he should have pressure tested it after the installation). If it was a nail or staple, then the carpenter or stuccoer. And so on. There is little possibility it is the manufacturers fault, so the brand may be irrelevent.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
There was a leak and a fire. I am just trying to figure out what happened. Before we can disassemble the problem area, we need all the interested parties present so they can participate. I do not sue. I'm an engineer, not a lawyer.

R. Ford

Who installed it? They should know what brand it is. Also was the installer certified? All plumbers are required to take a certification course before they are allowed to buy and install CSST.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Trac-Pipe certification takes all of 5 minutes. Cut this back. cut this square, put these two thingy's on, tighten it up and hope for the best. :D What a joke.

Honestly though, I can't tell what kind of pipe it is. All the CSST sold around here has the manufacturer's name on it. If it really turns into a wild goose chase though you might try going around to the local supply houses and see if they can match it. Chances are it came from place local.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

R. Ford

Wow! No Kidding Huh? :eek:

Rockford2000

Reaction score
Wouldn't it make more sense to find out WHY it leaked, and then have that person, or persons, there. If it was a bad connection or installation, then it is the plumber or handyman's problem, (he should have pressure tested it after the installation). If it was a nail or staple, then the carpenter or stuccoer. And so on. There is little possibility it is the manufacturers fault, so the brand may be irrelevent.

Precisely! The whole point (my part, at least) is to find out WHY it leaked. However, this involves disassembly (altering the evidence). If the cause was X and the party responsible for X is not present at the disassembly, then they have not had a fair chance to be involved and protect themselves. Soooo, we have to get everyone together before the alteration. That is the only fair way to proceed.

By the way, the capital "T" with the squiggle at the bottom turns out to be Gastite.

R. Ford

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Did it leak at a connection? If so, disconnecting it will show a faulty joint, unless it was not tightened properly. If it was at a joint, then call the person who installed it, or put a pressure test on it to prove where the leak is.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Why not?

quote; Interesting to see all the plumbers telling the engineers and lawyers how to do their jobs....

Which are you? Engineers are often completely out of any real world solution. In a court room they will agree with whichever side is paying them. And lawyers just want to sue anyone who has enough money to pay their third of any settlement. They seldom worry about facts or liability, all they want is a stupid/incompetent jury which agrees with them.

TedL

Reaction score
quote; Interesting to see all the plumbers telling the engineers and lawyers how to do their jobs....

Which are you? Engineers are often completely out of any real world solution. In a court room they will agree with whichever side is paying them. And lawyers just want to sue anyone who has enough money to pay their third of any settlement. They seldom worry about facts or liability, all they want is a stupid/incompetent jury which agrees with them.

Assuming you were intending to quote me, I will answer: You're wrong again--I am neither. Nor am I ignorant enough to paint all members of a group with the same brush, be they lawyers, plumbers, engineers or trash haulers. I've found admirable people in each group; I've found sorry excuses for human beings in each group as well.

I was struck by the irony of one or more plumbers telling the engineer and the lawyer he's working with how to build/present their case. As if they would ever stand having a lawyer tell them how to plumb! Smock man gets mocked because he thinks he can advise on plumbing after having hung around the fittings aisle for a few weeks. But watching Boston Legal or Law & Order apparently qualifies to advise on trial prep and strategy.

I'm one who examines what I do with some regularity, sometimes leading to my saying aloud "You idiot!" to myself. Such reflection is a practice I commend to others, especially those who see themselves least in need of it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
lawyers

One of my experiences with lawyers and engineers was a water softener which split and flooded a house. The customer had bought it, and I had installed it FOURTEEN years previously, and they wanted MY insurance company to pay the damages. The engineer said the water pressure THAT day was too high, but could not say what it was 14 years previously, but obviously I should have anticipated that it could happen. The lawyer just wanted someone to pay his fee.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks