mysterious pipes in basement slab

Users who are viewing this thread

1_Seth

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
First time visiting this forum; if any of you can help me out with this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm remodeling my basement and last night while I was scraping the floor I came across 2 two inch pipes that are imbedded in the slab in the middle of the room. They are black (I'm assuming ABS) and about 3 feet apart from each other. The top 3 inches of each pipe was stuffed with drywall mud and below that was styrafoam. I managed to get all of that out of each pipe and then I could see that the pipes go straight down for about 6 inches and then both make a 90 degree turn and head toward the general direction of the house's main drain. There was no odor coming out of either one. I should also mention the top of each pipe appears to have been broken off level with the concrete slab; no cap on them.

My first assumption was that it was a rough in for any future utility sinks or washing machines as it is about 10 feet away from our utility room. But I'm not sure at all and none of my DIY friends have been able to figure it out. The house was built in 1981.

Any ideas? Thanks!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Floor drains that they plugged when they realized that they hadn't sloped the floor towards them properly?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The first thing to do is flush a toilet and see if you can hear the sound in those pipes. If so, then they ARE connected to the drain system, but there may not be any way we can tell you what they were intended to be used for.

1_Seth

Reaction score
Yeah there is no slope toward either of them. But aren't floor drains normally 4 inch pipe? I looked at the concrete around them and it appears to be the original slab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks