Mysterious pattern of sewer problems - please help

Users who are viewing this thread

jasvid

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an issue with my sewer and would really welcome any feedback.

For a few years now, I have had a sewer blockage issue. The pattern over the last couple of years is the sewer works fine, I leave the house for business/vacation for 10+ days and I return home and within a day the sewer is backing up into my basement. Then I would use a hose and bladder to blow the sewer open and everything would be fine until the next time I left for 10+ days - could be weeks or months in between with no issues, but once I left home again, the issue would return.

This past summer, it started plugging up regularly even when I wasn't leaving town - every week or two. I called a plumber who came highly recommended who augered the line. He thought the problem must have been roots and he applied 4lb of root x and advised me to annually put in 4lbs of root X every fall (which I did at the end of October). After he augered the line, I left home for business a few times and didn't come home to a plugged sewer. I thought - "great everything is fixed".

I just got back from a month away yesterday and today the sewer is blocked - same pattern. I called the plumber and he is coming out to auger again. I told him that the pattern has repeated and he said he was stumped by that.

So - any ideas why a sewer drain would have a pattern of plugging after being away for 10+ days? What problems with my sewer line would this point to? HELP!

Thanks for any help!

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a theory, but it is not based on experience or knowledge. Suppose your sewer sags and therefore has a low spot. Things settle without flow and set. Then you have to blast them open.

However I suggest you get your presumably clay sewer pipe replaced with PVC. It will happen some time. You might as well do it sooner.

Opinion: In a top-notch job, they will set the top soil aside on a tarp, and will pile the clay, if you have that, on a different tarp. Then they should fill the trench with clay, but discard some clay. Then put the top soil back. Some even save the top sod. It will be mounded for a year maybe. After a few years it will sag a little. Just add some top soil as top dressing then.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks