Myson 325 burner flame big and yellow!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

artms

Reaction score
I've just completed 2 days of torture working on my water heater and i'm back to square one. The burner flames are HUGE and yellow, Soot like you would not believe. I cleaned the soot out of the fins at the top, cleaned the ignitor, lit the pilot and it kinda went kaboom. Now when I turn on the hot water a lot of soot comes out the direct ventand the flames are high inside the heat exchanger. I have a house propane tank and that's probably ok because my other appliances are fine. Since I can't get someone out here in the boonies very soon, I was wondering if there's a place I can adjust the flame down. I have used it and the water does get hot.....fluctuates a bit I just need to lower the flame and get this stable while I hunt for a replacement.

So I think it's a gas pressure problem with the burner manifold......whatever

Any suggestions?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Are you sure you have a propane heater and not a nat gas heater?

John

artms

Reaction score
I have a Myson DV325LPG water heater. I've had it for close to 20 years and I have never performed any maintainence on it till yesterday. It's in a shed on the side of the house which I built to house it for code. It started smelling like burning metal so I looked in. The flames were huge and yellow. There was a thick build up of soot which I cleaned off to increase venting. I had an issue with the pilot light staying lit and I cleaned the pilot ignitor. After all that..still a big yellow flame. The water does get very hot now.I have no way of measuring gas pressure...but thought I could just adjust a screw somewhere and watch the flames go down.

artms

Reaction score
HAHA
Well as a matter of fact that's what I'm going to do but it will take a few weeks to get a plumber here and get a new unit. In the meantime I would just like to make it safer and still be able to have a little hot water. Perhaps it's not an appropriate question of concern for this forum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks