My TOTO Experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I guess it all boils down to personal experience and other factors. I've installed and used both Vipers and Cadet Pros and found them highly preferable to the Totos I previously owned. The American Standard and Gerber models were the 1.6 GPF models, so I can't speak on the 1.28s.

I totally feel you on the Syndrome. Makes me really miss my 1971 American Standard elongated Cadet. Because of the tilt-valve set-up American Standard used at that time, it drained every drop of the 5 gallons in the tank with each flush, but it never left any resi-do-do behind -- above or below the bowl's water line!

The newest Vipers with the 3" flush valve seem to have smaller rim jets then the older ones, as a result the bowl wash seems a bit thin.

I used a Cadet Pro for a year, then an elongated Drake for 1.5 years. The Drake definitely stayed a little bit cleaner then the Cadet Pro.

Now I'm using a 1960s Cadet and couldn't be happier (except that it's not elongated which is a must have for me).

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
The newest Vipers with the 3" flush valve seem to have smaller rim jets then the older ones, as a result the bowl wash seems a bit thin.

I used a Cadet Pro for a year, then an elongated Drake for 1.5 years. The Drake definitely stayed a little bit cleaner then the Cadet Pro.

Now I'm using a 1960s Cadet and couldn't be happier (except that it's not elongated which is a must have for me).
Keep an eye out at your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. Their used toilet inventory changes constantly and you might luck up on an old elongated Cadet.

I hated the flush on the newer Kohler canister toilets until, after many canister seal replacements, I finally swapped the canister for a Kohler 3.25" flush valve with flapper on a 1.6 GPF Wellworth Highline. My confidence in Kohler has been restored!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
=I hated the flush on the newer Kohler canister toilets until, after many canister seal replacements, I finally swapped the canister for a Kohler 3.25" flush valve with flapper on a 1.6 GPF Wellworth Highline. My confidence in Kohler has been restored!

The reason Kohler went away from the 3.25" flapper was that they were failing too quickly.
What kind of water do you have, and do you use chemicals in the tank

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
The reason Kohler went away from the 3.25" flapper was that they were failing too quickly.
What kind of water do you have, and do you use chemicals in the tank
No chemicals added -- only the ones that are included in the City water supply. It's worth it to me for the improved flush to always keep a replacement flapper on hand. The flush with the Kohler canister was much weaker and the canister seal failed often, even the improved yellow one.

canister-seal-yellow.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks