My TOTO Drake II Arrived Trashed from Amazon - What a Disappointment!

Users who are viewing this thread

RogerPDX

Reaction score
WJ - Thanks. Fully Glazed would mean (to the average consumer) that the trap / tup / spillway is glazed - like the toilet is "glazed", and the tank is "glazed".

The new toilet has arrived from Amazon... when you reach into the hole in the bottom of the toilet is is not glazed, nor is it glazed when you flip it over and feel into the hole from that side....

Interestingly enough, the "glaze" on the outside of the toilet, near the back (on the side) is thin and yellowed... What's up with that?

Another question - inside the tank there is a bunch of rust colored material smeared all over the inside of the tank. What is that? I tried to wash it off, but it does not wash off. It looks like an old rusty tank - but it has never been used.

QC, QC, QC!

Now for Amazon's QC.... the tank box was put into their master shipping carton upside down.

.....the lid is broken!

I swear to God! If I ever buy a toilet mail order again someone please kick me!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Testing has shown that a smooth trapway tends to let things like toilet paper stick to it...so, while glazed, it is not entirely smooth. Keep in mind that porcelain is pretty dense stuff, and generally isn't affected by water, glazed or not (but the trap IS glazed, just not (intestinally) smooth). WHen it has a little texture, the moving water can catch and edge and move it along. There's more science to these things than the average person realizes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; And the workers at Amazon must have heard it
rattling... and they too took no pride - they just shipped it.

THAT is what they are paid to do, NOT monitor the sound of the box, because that sound might be proper for all they know. I had THREE toilets shipped from Kohler before I received one that was not broken, but they just said throw them in a dumpster, they did not want them back.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
quote; I had THREE toilets shipped from Kohler before I received one that was not broken, but they just said throw them in a dumpster, they did not want them back.

Amazon didn't want mine back either but I was not going to pay a dump fee. They came and got it and put a shipping label on it -returning it to Kentucky!

I also got $100 discount from Amazon for my "troubles", although they have only offered $10 for the broken lid (2nd shipment) so far.

I live a long way from any TOTO dealer, but frankly, I seriously doubt that I would ever purchase another toilet "mail order" again!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
amazon-toilet-broken.jpg

What an online delivery can look like.

I was a little late returning the phone call, so before I was able to talk to them, they had ordered.
I charge more to install toilets delivered by online sellers. I need the bigger van to haul away of the foam packing, and it takes longer to wiggle everything out of the double boxing.
I went on a Tuesday before Christmas. They only had one of the three there. The next two were to be delivered on Christmas Eve. Nope. Not working on that day, or Christmas day either. Looked like the following Tuesday after Christmas. Showed up the following Tuesday, pulled the first Kohler one-piece, and then opened up the first TOTO box. Yep. Someone had dropped the box off of the delivery van and smashed the toilet. Even with all the foam and double boxing, it wasn't going to take a hit like that from three feet up. Okay, I get to install the second toilet now. I mentioned to the homeowner that I could pick up the third locally and they agreed to that. Okay, now I'm at three trips to the home to install three toilets. Normally I supply the toilets and make it a one-stop job. But we're one now, three toilets, three trips and a lot of cardboard and foam filled bags in the back of my van now. The stuff I get, is always perfect, the boxes open right up, and I can lift the toilets right out. Much less goes in the dump, and a lot of driving around is eliminated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks