My toilet doesn't flush well. need help

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by vaindioux, Mar 13, 2010.

1. vaindioux

vaindioux New Member

Hi

I own a 10 years old house, purchased it new. I have 2 bathrooms both upstairs. Flush mechanisms have been replaced once for each toilet.
    My master's toilet will not flush correctly anymore. It does flush but it either takes 2 to 4 flushings or the plunger has to be used.
    It swirls, nothing appears or sounds wrong, it just does not get the job done.

Where shall I start looking? I are not the very handy type but I do manage to fix simple things around the house when needed.

Thanks a lot

Patrick
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Most of the time, it's a collection of stuff in the lower trapway.
    We sometimes can clear a trapway using a large end closet auger with a 1.3/8" end on it.

Most augers at the hardware store are 3/4".
    Not real big, and sometimes they pass right by the problem without pushing it out.
    If the trapway is clear, then it will flush on a single try.

[​IMG]
    We use a closet auger with the large 1-3/8" end on it.
    Smaller cables can go right by the obstruction and not move it.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  3. vaindioux

vaindioux New Member

Terry

I got an auger from lowes and it is fairly easy to use. Unfortunately nothing came out of it, it seems the problem might be somewhere else.
    I will keep at it, until it's fixed.

Thanks for the help

Patrick
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

There could be any of several possibilities, but a lot would depend on the make and model of the toilets, the repair parts used to fix them, and whether the "jet" in the bottom of the bowl is plugged, (which would be my first guess).