my sink spits

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by BenE, Sep 2, 2012.

1. BenE

BenE New Member

second floor laundry is next to a bathroom. Got a new LG washer in the spring, just noticed that the sink
    faucet spits like the water was turned on and off, except it wasn't. (have private well and septic) Today
    heard the washer make two brief "gag" sounds about 5 minutes after starting. Went in the adjacent bathroom
    and the faucet spit water and air when I turned it on. Could my roof stack be clogged somehow, or is there
    a more logical explanation? Our previous 20yr old washer never made a peep, except when the tub was out of
    balance and the buzzer could be heard from the next township.

appreciate any help.

BenE
  2. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

You are running out of water from your well tank,
    you need a plumber or well driller to check out your system,
    before you possible run out of water, it could be problem with pressure tank, well pump, or water level in well
    dropping below the pump pickup,
    the washer is drawing the tank down causing air in the pipes
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Obviously, unless your water and drain systems are connected together, there is NO possibility that a clogged vent, or ANYTHING ELSE, will cause a problem with the faucet's water. You have an entirely different problem and the only way to do a proper diagnosis is to be there and do our own testing.
  4. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

As hj said, the sewer should most certainly not be connected to the well pump so unrelated.

You need to describe your well and pump system. Is it a bladder or hydro-pneumatic tank? Deep or shallow well pump? Jet or submersible? Air injection water treatment? Air is getting into the system either deliberately or not. If deliberately, then the AVC or air separator might not be working.

Yesterday my wife had two watering hoses on the go when the timers for the soakers came on. The combined draw was more than the pump could keep up with and the pressure dropped well below the kick-in setting. As a result, the level in the hydro-pneumatic tank dropped low enough that the air escaped into the line causing air to spurt out of the hoses. The AVC on the tank would normally bleed off excess air but it does so at a slow rate and it was overwhelmed by the sudden drop in level.