my sandpoint project has turned into a recovery mission

Users who are viewing this thread

billyjoebob

Reaction score
I've been slowly working on installing a sandpoint well for agricultural purposes (i.e. working center point of a flower garden).

I dug a 4' hole with a post digger, and kept it filled with water for a week (to loosen the ground). I'm on long island, so right at about 4' you are into the sandy soil, with water at about 13'

Yesterday, the wellpoint plus 5' of 1.25" pipe went in with no problem...just a lot of hammering.

Today, I coupled another 5' section and drove that in about 4'. I dropped a weighted line, and hit water about 1 foot from the bottom (higher than I thought). I attached the pitcher pump to see if I could start pulling water up, but no good. Disconnected the pitcher and now notice quite a bit of play in the pipe. Lo and behold, the section under the top 5' broke just under the coupling.

The broken section is right above the bottom of my hole (I can barely reach it). There are a few threads left, but I'm having a hard time reattaching a coupling to it. What I'd like to do is back the pipe up, replace the broken section, and drop it in before the hole collapses.

Does anyone have any experience/ideas on attaching a coupling to broken threads?

Last edited:

Bill Arden

Computer Programmer
Reaction score
Website
www.billarden.com
my dad had a problem like this a few weeks ago while he was helping a friend.

they ended up fixing a large wood screw drill bit to the end of some metal tubbing. They then managed to add sections and get the bit jammed down in the pipe and lift the whole mess up out of the hole.

They then inspected all the pipes, but it seems they missed one since the pump won't hold prime.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
thread

Once the thread snaps off, there is almost no way to get a new fitting to screw onto it unless it is rethreaded. The pipe thread is tapered and when it snaps off, the remaining part of the taper is too large to go into a fitting. If the pipe is somewhat loose, grab it with a pair of locking pliers and pull it up with them.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You are obviously not hitting the pipe with the right tool and your not getting your joints tight. They must be butted together.

bob...

Brett W

Reaction score
chain and jack all

had the same trouble except mine broke of about 16 ft down.
we looped a chain around the bottom of the coupling, kinda like a lasso, and then attached that to a jack all and hoisted it up. Kinda trying but I did get the point back.
good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks