My old toilet has a triangle drain hole. How to plug it?

Users who are viewing this thread

shmerl

Reaction score
Our old toilet was continuing leaking so I got a Fluidmaster fill valve and it still leaked. Then I realized it was in the flapper connection. I removed that and instead of finding a round hole, I found a triangular hole and the Fluidmaster flapper part doesn't cover this hole fully. Is there are fix for old toilets like ours?

shmerl

Reaction score
It would be nice to see a picture of what you have. 800 pixels or less.

Oops. Sorry. I know better than that.. Here you go… I don't see a manufacturer name anywhere. There is only a series of numbers inside the tank if that helps at all. As you can see the drain pipe has 3 protruding points that make a triangle and fit into the triangular tank hole. The Fluidmaster replacement which is round is just a little smaller than the points of the triangular hole. I'm assuming that I'm either going to reuse the old one and use some kind of adhesive like Plumber's Putty or silicone? Or use the Fluidmaster replacement and plug the 3 points with silicone or some other compound? Thanks. Steven

Attachments

• IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 573
  • IMG_0144.JPG
    IMG_0144.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_0145.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0150.JPG
    IMG_0150.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 543

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Kohler is notorious for having wacky different parts instead of standard ones, particularly flappers and fill valves, and not being receptive to parts from other companies. Most one-piece toilets, however, don't just accept the kind of fill valve you purchased, anyway.

Reach has done you a favor by getting you the exact part number you need. There are about 20 different flavors of Rialtos over the years, and the parts change from one to the other, even though it is called the same thing. That's why the model number (the one with the big K in it -- for Kohler) is important in finding the right part. You can't just get a "Rialto Flush Valve". You need the right one, so follow his lead carefully.

Looks like you want the 83650, but you should double-check. Type Kohler 83650 into Google, and pick your supplier, or go by a local plumbing supply place.

shmerl

Reaction score

Thanks Reach. I see in the parts diagram link you provided that the correct 83650 Flush Valve has 3 adjustable lugs I assume to be able to tighten from under the tank to create a waterproof seal, whereas the Flush Valve I removed, as you can see below, has 3 non-adjustable triangle lugs. This is also an 83650 but the wrong 83650 as Wise One points out there are many with the same number, and while it fits into the hole, and you can then turn the Valve so the lugs hold the Valve in place, the gasket doesn't create a waterproof seal. This must be why the person put in the wrong 83650 below, had to use silicone to glue the gasket to the tank bottom to make a seal which finally eroded which is why I'm replacing it because water was always dripping slowly into the bowl at the Valve gasket, which was corroded anyway.

I won't know until I get the correct 83650 if there are instructions and if they suggest putting something like Plumber's Putty on the gasket or if the gasket and adjustable lugs are ample to create a true waterproof seal.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on adding putty or something like it to the installation?

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 586
  • K83650.jpg
    K83650.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 541
  • K83650lugs.jpg
    K83650lugs.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 521

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not know how to interpret the two kinds available. I thought maybe there was an option of using either the Twist & Lock or the adjustable, but you could be right that some toilets use one and some the other. I would ask their customer support number.

shmerl

Reaction score

@flapper. Please advise if "nvm" means: "never mind" and if so,
what we shouldn't mind? I don't see a previous post from you so I'm not clear. Thanks.

@Reach. I'll try to find a knowledgeable support rep who can advise us 100%. Thanks.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
From your pictures, it looks like the "legs" are only there to align the fill valve (keep it from turning) and that the seal area is "round" and that the seal is large enough to span the entire triangular opening as if the opening was round.
If this is the case, then why don't any of various versions of the 83650 seal? Is the round seal part not covering some part of the triangular opening?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks