My new stops all leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
House was plumbed with copper, but galvanized nipples and plastic gate valves were used on all bathroom fixtures, so I decided to replace them all. I picked up some nice ball valve stops, and new brass nipples, but after installing them, every one leaks?!?! I've done maybe a hundred of these, and never had a leak before. I used rector seal, as I always have. I noticed that the threads on the brass nipples are kinda weird looking. The top of the cut threads are flat, not sharp, like the others I have on hand. I suspect that is the problem. Someone suggested I use the thicker gas teflon tape instead of the sealant, but I have used the sealant for years without a problem. Amy suggestions? Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Last edited by a moderator:

Jm66208

Reaction score
So I just walked down to my neighborhood True value to see what they had, and all the brass nipples (watts) had the same flat top threads. The "guy" said to just use "lots" of plumbers tape...ugh! Headed to the supply house in the AM. Anxious to see what they have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's a lot of sub-standard plumbing supplies coming out of the far east. They just have little understanding about standards and the cheap price point comes with a penalty to the end user. The time wasted and poor performance comes at a cost, but 'it costs less!' directs people to buy the stuff anyway. Lots of US brand names subcontract to the cheapest supplier...some have better standards, and actually hold the suppliers to it. They can and do make some good stuff, but it's sort of like the old west where anything goes and the old sheriff just can't be everywhere.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Before we jump into conclusions, can you see exactly where the leaks are?

Jm66208

Reaction score
Before we jump into conclusions, can you see exactly where the leaks are?

The leaks are at each of the threaded connections between the stops & nipples, and nipples & elbows.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The leaks are at each of the threaded connections between the stops & nipples, and nipples & elbows.

In that case, use other nipples from a different source/store/outlet. Or...

Make your own nipple, using 2 male adapters and a short 1/2" pipe, and screw it on when cold, to see if it's leak free.

For each thread use tape and putty. Don't over tighten.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Just to update, I went & got some nipples from the supply house and the threads look totally different (normal). Nice & sharp, and tapered. I measured the bad nipples & they are 1/16" smaller in diameter, hence the flat topped threads. No taper in the threads either. I stopped at the Home depot on the way back to check theirs, and they were all the same as well. Flat topped threads, and smaller in diameter that the ones from the supply house. Installed the new nipples & stops in my usual fashion & no leaks! Man, stuff like that can really mess with one's confidence.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Maybe they used a metric pipe and tried to put a US thread on it. Regardless, buying stuff at a big box store is sometimes risky - (and they're not the only places) as it's all about the price. It's really bad, since the average person doesn't know if it's good or bad, and assumes it's them, and not the supplies. Factor in the (often) flakey recommendations, and it's definitely buyer beware!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks