My light switch reversed... polarity???

Users who are viewing this thread

Fistor

Geotechnical Engineer
Reaction score
Hi all -

A while since I've been here, but I have a strange "problem", if you will, that popped up a few weeks ago...

In my kitchen, I have a lightswitch that operates a single, overhead light (a fluorescent bank). I've lived in this house now for 6 years, and until a few weeks ago, everything was 'normal', with a down position of the switch corresponding to off, and the up position corresponding to on.

A few weeks ago, I went to turn on the light by flipping the switch up, only to find that it was in the up position. Thinking the breaker had triggered (or less likely, the fixture itself had failed), I flicked the switch down, only to have the lights go on!

This is an older house (1951 or so), with some remnant of older wiring still present. The logical thought (at least to a layman like me) was this this must be a 3-way switch, with the other switch somewhere that I have never discovered, or encountered before... yet I know of and cannot find any such switch, and this has never happened before. I went and tried every possible candidate that could be the "other switch", maybe something in the basement, but nothing.

Has anyone every heard of such a thing occurring? Is there some other reason this may have occurred? I have yet to open up the switch itself, and to be honest, feel a little leary if I am unsure of whether another switch may be present... also, is this an indication of a potential hazard? It might be difficult in this older house to figure out what happens with the wiring between Point A (the panel) and Point B (the switch).... :confused:

All help appreciated!

Thanks, Carl

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Look at the switch. If it is a single pole, and not a "Decora" style, it should have "on" and "off" printed on it, and would be impossible to reverse the function. But you are describing a three way switch and the other one was used to turn the light on or off, which reversed the function of the one you usually use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks