My head is spinning! I need to buy a new toilet.

Users who are viewing this thread

ansarhalisi

Reaction score
It all started with my LOVELY 3 boy's who have a mission on overflowing the toilet! We had to gut the bathroom because of mold and other unmentionable things! So after doing this I thought I'd go to Home Depot and just ask what's the best toilet you have instock that won't clog? The 1st guy said he has a cadet 5 (?) and had three teenage girls that like flushing things. He said he's never had a problem. I went back to the store to buy one and the 2nd guy swore up and down that the kohler wellington was better. That he installed one for his brother in-law that always has clogs and he hasn't clogged it since the new toilet has been installed. I've been on site after site trying to figure out what toilet to buy. I even went on you tube from the pepper test to the golf ball test. I thought the cadet 3 was the best choice. I need to find a toilet that won't clog from over use of TP and solid waste. I can't afford to go over $200. I definitely can't afford to remodel the bathroom AGAIN! Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probably yes. I bought a trailer load of 3's a couple years back and we are still selling that stock off.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should be aware that AS has quality issues. It seems the ones sold by discount houses have a very high return rate for flaws. Many of the pros on this forum will not install them or if they do, they will not guarantee them other than the actual installation. Toto has an exceptional record. Toto also has many more models to choose from.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The Champion has been our contractor grade for several years now and I have had very few problems with them. I swear the damn thing will flush a horse. Certainly not as many as I used to have with Kohler. I used to use Mansfield but the local supplier dried up.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, Tom Sawyer said it, these are "contractor grade" toilets. These are the cheap junk the contractors use so they can keep the house priced as low as possible while keeping their profit margin high. Many plumber on this forum make a lot of money replacing these with Totos soon after the house is sold. Yes, some do work OK, but about 25% do not. Most laymen do not understand that American Standard and Kohler toilets of today are not of the same quality that their names and reputations were built on.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't mean to argue with you Gary but contractor grade does not mean cheap junk. Contractor grade is pretty much a standard, middle of the road toilet that you will find in probably 90% of homes. Not under a hundred bucks but not over two hundred. Lots of companies make perfectly servicable contractor grade toilets.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks