Multiple types of sewer smells?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYer101

Reaction score
I've got a bad sewer line leaving my house going to the city. The question is if it's stinking up the yard (which will make me replace the line next week, as opposed to in 2-3 weeks which would be more convenient).

I think I know what sewer smells like (I've smelled it, especially when the basement shower trap evaporates). But the yard smells different from that. We thought it was a dead mouse in the garage or something, but it hasn't gone away in a few weeks of dry heat, and the smell comes and goes.

So the question is basically: does a busted sewer sometimes smell like a dead mouse, or are there a variety of smells at least? Maybe it's the city sewer I'm smelling?

Background:
I got the line scoped 18 months ago and there was a root infestation. I have clay tile pipe sections maybe 3 feet long, most of which are misaligned (they're from the 1940's?).

The sewer line finally backed up a few weeks ago and it was cleared. He "pushed" something all the way out to the city, and I'm wondering if that opened up an airway for gas to get into the yard.

More importantly, I'm also wondering if the plumber might have ground out part of the pipe that would let water get into the ground. The air coming up is a minor nuisance, but water getting in the ground is a bigger problem if I'm thinking of waiting a few weeks.

Picture
If you're bored, you can watch a video of the cleared line. I suspect the main block is around the 2-minute mark of this video (there's still a little bit of root showing there, and my guess is that's about where the smell is worst).

Thank you for any thoughts you have!

Edited to add: the smell started the same day (or within one day) of getting the sewer line cleared.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It looks to me as if the line has some bellies and bad joints, but if it is not clogging, I would not consider it an emergency. If the line is leaking, it is not going to smell very good. I would think that in your climate the pipe would be buried 4 feet minimum, so it is going to be a job to replace.

Reach4

Reaction score
Edited to add: the smell started the same day (or within one day) of getting the sewer line cleared.
That is an important clue.

When they replace the clay pipe with PVC, they should install an outside cleanout at the same time.

I don't know how much you care about your yard, but the best you could do for the yard is to have them put the dug dirt onto tarps... at least if they will be digging through clay. Then let them backfill the trench except for the last couple inches inches. Ideally they will compact the dirt. I have known really a good crew to use sledgehammers to compact the dirt. Get the remaining dirt hauled away. Yes, you will pay extra, but it should be a small amount relative to the price of the job. They will want to throw the clay pipe into the pit before filling with dirt. It will be best if they haul that away too.

When you spread clay on grass, it makes a place where grass does not want to grow. Look up and down your street. You will probably see other yards where the clay pipe has been replaced. If those scars are OK with you, don't worry about it. Let them do what they planned.

Maybe you don't have clay soil under your topsoil. If it is sandy soil, nothing to worry about.

DIYer101

Reaction score
Thanks cacher_chick. Yes, there's a basement so it's at least 7-8 feet down and not easy to get the equipment to (a skinny passage). That was noted in the excavator's pricing unfortunately...

Reach4, the good news is we don't care about the yard - it was dirt when we bought and we haven't done anything with it yet. Supposedly these guys are the best in town and they will compact while refilling (a neighbor mentioned that exact same thing). We are also getting a cleanout installed so the toilet stays put from now on.

I talked to the plumber briefly yesterday and his thoughts were more or less "if it smells like a dead mouse that's more likely." Partly because the line is so deep and partly because he sometimes finds mice for people who think there's a sewer line break.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are on the right path to do the sewer and then see how things are. That needs doing anyway. Those neighbors with houses built at the same time who have not done theirs yet will be doing so. If the smell continues, you might look at https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/sewer-gas-mystery.63431/page-5#post-489105 post 90 and and 95. You could then go back to the beginning of the thread. Tracking smells can be really hard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks