Multiple drains go to building sewer--ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
This struck me as out of the ordinary and so I thought I'd run it past you all to see if it is within code or not. What we have is a 4" building drain / stack of course connected into the building sewer outside (if I have my terms correct). In addition, and upstream along the building sewer is a 2" drain from the kitchen area that goes outside independently and (presumably!) connects into the sewer directly. Is this OK? If so, are there any design problems or issues with doing so?

Is it adequate for a CO on the kitchen sink or does there need to be a CO on the 2" kitchen line just inside the building perimeter (given there is a 4" CO at the main drain along the perimeter)?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think you pay for each 'tap' into the main sewer, so it is likely that it goes into the 4" line before it hits the street connection. It's a good idea to have a cleanout on a run like that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am not sure HOW that 2" line is located, but you can have as many connections to the building main drain, or sewer, as necessary to service the building's needs. And it makes little difference HOW or WHERE these are connected, as long as it is done correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks