Multiple drainings per flush

Users who are viewing this thread

xterra

Reaction score
We had a toilet start leaking into the (unfinished) basement. I pulled the toilet and replaced the wax ring. While I was at it, I replaced the flap and fill valve with a "whisper quiet" unit. The leak is now fixed, but whenever we flush the toilet, the bowl empties 2, sometimes 3, time before it begins to fill.

The toilet is a 12 year old Kohler 2 piece normal (non-pressurized) unit. The new guts are a Flushmaster complete kit from Home Depot.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is that the flapper valve is dumping more water than the thing was designed for. You probably need either an adjustable flapper valve, or the exact replacement from Kohler.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
The flapper that comes with the fluidmaster kit is adjustable. Look at the directions carefully to see how to adjust it.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If your Kohler is a Wellworth, the original flapper had a foam float attatched to the chain. The position of the float kept it open just the correct length of time. Your generic flapper uses a timing vent, and basically allows all or most of the water in the tank to ruu out. Wellworths are noted for doing a "triple" when this happens.

xterra

Reaction score
Thanks all for the information. Can't tell you the specific Kohler model - they were here when we bought the house. The old flapper didn't have any type of float, but it could have been replaces at some point. I also checked the new flapper that came with the kit and checked Fluidmaster's web site, and it's not one of the adjustable kind.

So I'll be going to Home Depot on the way home tonight to look at my options. Worst case I can put the old flapper back on until I can find one that works properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks