Mud & Leaf problem - sump or sewage pump

Users who are viewing this thread

runabout

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a sump pump and battery back up unit installed in my "under the house" garage.

I have several issues and am struggling to keep up with the routine bills, so making any exterior drain solutions involving someone digging up the yard with a trench etc isn't an option anytime in the next year unless Ed McMahon shows up with a check.

I am not physically able to do that kind of work myself.

I am the low property in the neighborhood, during rains water runs down the driveway and into the basement, carrying with it mud and leaves.

I currently have a sump pump and battery back up unit but it keeps getting clogged up. I still end up with several inches of water standing in the garage and basement.

About 2 months ago a man from church installed the battery back up unit for me, at that time he cleaned out the basin, but here we are only 2 months later and it is clogged up again and not pumping the water out.

Would a sewage pump be a viable long term option?

I am the low spot and even with just normal rainfalls my pump has to kick in and pump out lots of water.

I have read that sewage pumps are for toilet use, not the ongoing needs of keeping a basement/garage clear of standing water.

I also read about valves that keep the water from coming back into the basin. My pumps discharges the water up to the ceiling of the garage and then runs it about 50-60 feet to a runoff creek.

I have thought about buying a 24" pizza baking screen and fitting it over the top of the pump to prevent the leaves from getting in... would have to cut it and figure out how to create a collar around the double pvc pipes coming from the main and back up pumps, and hold it down with some bricks, but that doesn't stop the mud from getting in.

If a sewage pump is a realistic long term option as the primary pump, I would like to work toward getting the money together to get one and just solve the issue... I am not getting any younger and mom is requiring more of my time for her care. But I cannot afford to get a sewage pump installed and it not work or get ruined due to wrong application of use.

I recently had furnace, w/d, car, lawnmower flooded with knee deep water... so the repair bills on all that were very high and wiped out the ER cushion.

So trying to understand if a sewage pump can replace the sump pump and not get burnt out or fail to handle the ongoing volume of water.

Thanks much!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think a sewage pump is going to be much different from what you have. For one property, we use a 1/3 hp pump with 1.5" discharge, to a check valve, pumping 200 feet.
We use bricks with holes through them, as a sort of dam, and a screen over the top to catch leaves. This in a low portion between three lots on the property line. It works out pretty well.

runabout

Reaction score
Thanks.

I used to live all my adult life in the city, so all these country systems are new to me... and without funds to just hire someone like I would in the old days, it has proven to be challenging...

I just talked to the guy from church and he said he did not think mud was the issue with the pump stopping, that it was debris like mulch and leaves.

He is going to bring a rigid screen with 1/4' holes in it and fit it over the top and we are going to try that with bricks on it. It that solves the issue then we will wet vac it a few times a year and hopefully I will get a break from having all my stuff ruined from flooding!

Thanks so much for the response and for this forum!!!

Happy New Year.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Make sure the pump is sitting up on a block and not on the bottom of the basin. If you clean the bottom of the basin a few times a year, half of the battle is finished.

For a longer term solution, I would saw cut the driveway and install a channel drain to redirect the water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks