MS874114SG, Need to find replacement tank lid

Users who are viewing this thread

I Need Help

Reaction score
My TOTO Carlyle CST874 (MS874114SG) wouldn't stop running so I lifted the lid and then bent down to shut off the water at the wall. I knocked off the lid and it shattered. What's the best place to buy a replacement? Online? Nearest plumbing supply (none local)?

I also need to replace one of the screws that holds on the seat. We had Totos in our previous home for 12 years and the seats never wobbled or came loose. In this home, the seats on both toilets would loosen and have to be tightened regularly. (Doesn't everyone keep an old kitchen knife under the bathroom sink?) One of the screws is apparently stripped as it spins and won't tighten, so I need to find a replacement for this part, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The number you gave us is the number inside the tank, which isn't the full model number for the toilet (so I don't know for sure the color and gallonage used per flush), but it does tell us a lot. The lid for your Carlyle is going to be part number TCU854. If it is the 1.6gpf version, then the full lid part number, if it is Cotton White, is TCU854CRS#01. There are a number of online channels selling used lids, including the famous auction site. I would start with your local plumbing supply to see if they have or can order the part, and how much they would want for it. Make sure you are getting the right color.

You can also get it directly from Toto in their online store. Go here: Scroll down to the TCU854 listings. You don't want the bolt-down lid and you need to make sure you get the right color. TCU854CRS#01 is shown as available for $69. Other colors have a different number after the # symbol, and different prices. The phone number for Toto in Georgia is 1-888-295-8134. They have friendly people who can help you identify and make sure you are getting exactly the right lid, and they ship quickly. It may be cheaper through the secondary channels, though.

I can say that I did purchase a lid for a 50-year-old toilet online not too long ago, and it came intact and well-packed. There was a big crack in the old lid and I otherwise would have had to replace the old toilet just because it was so unsightly. New lid, new handle, new Korky guts, and I was back in business and looking good for about $60. (This for a toilet that gets very little use.)

You might also ask about the toilet seat bolts, but you are probably out of luck with the manufacturer. A good hardware store might have a suggestion. As to seats sliding around, I can say that I like the mounting system on the new Mayfair slow-close seats with the lift-off hinge feature. (e.g. model 148E2) You actually mount the nylon bolts on the toilet without the seat attached, leaving a big nylon head above the hole; the bolts and mounting system makes them stay put. Then, you clip the seat to the bolts. On our toilets where they used to slide all the time, they don't move at all. You want the absolutely-newest version of the mounting stuff, as it has changed a little in the last year, and the most recent incarnation is the best. You would get that by buying online or locally from a company that has substantial inventory turnover. Unfortunately, the seat is a hard wood seat, which we like but I know many people want the more-malleable plastic because they find it more comfortable.

Also, were you able to solve the "won't stop running" problem? That usually just involves replacing the flapper (the rubber thing on the flush valve that holds the water in the tank). Assuming that you have the 1.6gpf version with the red or pink flapper, your Carlyle will take this one as the replacement: If you have the blue flapper or a different color than red or pink, let us know and we'll aim you at the replacement.

I Need Help

Reaction score
Thank you for the responses and suggestions. You guys are the best!

The other toilet had the running issue last year and I put in a Korky Quiet Fill. I plan to do that with this one, too.

The model is a1.6 Gpf, white (cotton?) with SanaGlo. We have the elongated soft-close seats. If the toilets in the other house had had these issues so soon after purchase I might not have insisted on Toto this time around.

Will scout around for a lid and hopefully find a way to secure the seat. That one's in the main hall bath that's used by guests so if I can't find a better option I'll swap it out with the one in the MBR. At least we aren't as surprised as our guests when the seat suddenly starts to swivel.

I Need Help

Reaction score
How do I know whether it's Cotton or Colonial White? Is there a number somewhere on the toilet to indicate color?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Bottom line is that you will look in the tank for something that says "#01" or "#11". 01 is cotton, 11 is colonial, and there are four other colors as well. But look at the linked page because it makes it crystal clear.

Frankly, if it were I, I would just call Toto on Monday and have them send it to me, because that's going to be the easiest way to do it, although maybe a couple of bucks more. Or I would order it online on the Toto web site that I linked to.

I Need Help

Reaction score
Thank you. That information would be helpful if there was a legible number in either tank. One has part of an S and the other has the tops of a couple of letters.

I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Is that a photo of Central Park? I'm guessing it's covered by snow right now. We don't have that problem here but I did have to spray for weeds today. Our annual half-inch of rain fell last week so they're sprouting big time.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yes, that's the Park, looking from South to North. Yes, we had a little dusting of snow today. It has been in the teens and twenties all week, but hopefully will start to warm up soon! The cotton white is the whiter of the two, if that's any help.

I Need Help

Reaction score
Someone posted on another forum that their soft close is now slamming shut. They were told to replace the entire seat but someone else said there is a hinge kit that would fix the problem. I wonder if that would also solve my problem of the wiggling seat without buying an entire new one. Opinions? KOHLER1150464 HINGE KIT

I Need Help

Reaction score
I found the white screws locally...AFTER I had ordered a new seat online!
For anyone who wants to save a BUNCH of money, the white screws are 14-1063, $2.50 per set.

I'd still appreciate your ideas on whether the hinge kit would have been a good alternative for the stripped screw problem.

Attachments

• lasco-14-1063.jpg
    lasco-14-1063.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 592

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally on the older version of the MS874114SG Carlyle, you would use the seat toggles that can be installed from above. Part number THU-651N

Attachments

• thu-651n.jpg
    thu-651n.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 537
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks