Moving washing machine to master closet

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Steve Wagner, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Steve Wagner

Steve Wagner New Member

Hello,

I'd appreciate advice on a configuration.

We're moving the HE washer / dryer to the master bedroom closet which shares a plumbing wall with the master bath and whirlpool tub. The existing drain lines are 1.5" and the vent stack and existing drain lines are about 2.5' from the proposed washer discharge line and the same for the proposed drain in the Mustee overflow washer pan. The floor is 3/4" wood on W style trusses with about an 18" height of open space to run plumbing lines.

The 1.5" drain line comes to the shared wall from the tub and makes a right angle turn to continue to the main drain stack.

So, the question is:

Can I simply put in an "+" fitting in place of that right angle elbow, one side to the tub drain, one side to main drain, one side to the new washer overflow pan and one side to the discharge line for the washer (located higher in the wall adjacent to the washer location) P traps on both the overflow pan drain and the discharge line and sharing the existing vent stack?

Thanks for reviewing,
    Steve
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

IF you want it to pass code (at least in the USA), the line for a WM must be 2" and sharing it with a tub is not a good idea.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

You many be able to find a 2" waste line there.
    The tub trap arm and trap are 1.5", but going farther back where the vent is, you may find a larger waste line.

I would not put a tub and washer back to back like that.
    The washer p-trap needs to be "above" the floor, not below it.
    The tub p-trap "is" below the floor.
    You can't stack a washer over a tub. You can vent each one separately, and tie those vents together at 42" above the floor.
    The drain pan for the washer will need a trap primer for the p-trap.
  4. Steve Wagner

Steve Wagner New Member

Thanks for the info and clarification, makes sense I'll look for the 2" line. Can the washer drain pan and washer discharge line be located off the same 2" line? (each with their own p trap) ...or would this possibly allow a back up of water into the drain pan when the washer was discharging into the stand pipe? (since the pan is lower than the discharge line / stand pipe)
  5. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

When the piping is configured properly, the sink drain will be over the washer drain on a shared stack.