moving tub 12". Is vent needed? lots of pics

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mike11, May 25, 2011.

1. mike11

mike11 New Member

Just gutted our small (6x8)main floor bathroom. Would like to move a wall out 12" to give us a little more space. This would move the tub 12".

Picture 1 shows the current drain. It's 53" from the drum trap to the vent stack. Moving the tub and replacing the drum trap with a regular p-trap would increase this distance to about 72". I assume I will need to vent the tub?
    picture1.jpg

Picture 2 shows my bathroom/basement piping layout. Someone told me the pipe labeled "future vent" is an unused vent, put there in case someone wanted to add a basement bathroom.
    picture2.jpg

Picture 3 shows the end of this vent, capped in the basement.
    picture3.jpg

Can this be used to vent the tub? Something like what I show in picture 4?

Thanks!

picture4.jpg
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The vent take-off must be vertical. You cannot run the vent horizontally in the basement.

The new vent would need to rise at least 44" above the next floor level before being connected to any existing vent. Depending on your layout, it would likely be easier to run it up through an existing wall and through the roof, or connecting to an existing vent in the attic.
    Last edited: May 26, 2011
  3. mike11

mike11 New Member

If I put a wye after the trap and roll it up 45degrees, is it then a vertical take-off?

It would then run horizontally(pitched) to the unused galvanized steel vent pipe that is capped in the basement. From there it rises 60" above then next floor, and connects to the vent for the sink.(picture 2)

The tub drain runs diagonally under the bathroom. No walls nearby to run vent up into.
  4. bulldog plumbing

bulldog plumbing New Member

future vent

what your are talking about doing is a correct way to do it. keep in mind if you use that future you won't have a way to add anything in the basement and have it properly vented . why not add a vent while the wall is open so you have the option for the future. doug