Moving Toilet a few Feet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by JLMA, Oct 29, 2011.

1. JLMA

JLMA New Member

Hi there,

I researched the previous threads and had no luck in finding help with these questions I have.

I'm remodeling a condo and would like the main bathroom's toilet to be like 3 feet away from where it is right now.

Is that doable using conventional (not engine driven) fixtures? If so, what's needed? What;'s involved in making that possible?

Thanks a lot!

JLMA
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Without knowing HOW the pipes were installed to that toilet, and HOW the building is constructed under the floor, it is IMPOSSIBLE to answer the question. It could be easy, difficult, or IMPOSSIBLE, depending on the specific conditions.
  3. JLMA

JLMA New Member

Thanks hj.

As I mentioned in the "a Kitchen into a Bathroom" thread, a contractor who just handled very nicely a serious remodeling project in a different condo unit with the same floor plan as mine in the same building said (when I asked him if the current kitchen could be turned into a bathroom [the current bathroom is right East of the Kitchen; the kitchen will be become a bathroom, the bathroom closet space]):
    "<you will have to move the adjoining wall to the east so the toilet and tub drains can be utilized as they can not be moved>".

Apparently it is so bc the floor is concrete (and I assume the pipes/drains/tubes are embedded in it?). So I know the toilet drain will stay where it is now.

Now, the question I have is: can a toilet still be placed a few feet from the toilet-drain and some length of tube/pipe laid from toilet to drain?

Does any of this additional info help you figure out, nj, if my case falls into the EASY, DIFFICULT or IMPOSSIBLE categories?

Thanks,

JLMA
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

#1 You can not just run a pipe from the toilet to the drain. #2 Condos usually have very strict rules on what you can/can't do. Better get a handle on that. #3 If you find the condo association will allow changes, you should get a local plumber to make an on-site evaluation of the situation. It's often said that anything is possible if your pockets are deep enough. Obviously, the concrete floor will make this an expensive job at best.