Moving the washer dryer and water heater? Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Aeilers

Reaction score
the washer dryer hookups in the living room folding door closet... The utility room off the kitchen is empty. 220 hookup thats it.. my goal is to move the water heater and the washer dryer in this utility room. I can get water in from the faucet on the back walll of the house.. i just dont have a drain for the washer. I was thinking to run the water from the washer back in the attic then across to the closet in the living room and down into the drain in the wall.

I ran across a pump thats about 200$ that will push the water 14ft high and 24ft across the attic if needed

Is this possible? Any other options, Dont really want to dig into the concrete

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I'm not a plumber but it sounds crazy. For one the pump will have to sit in a sealed container (a sump) and it will need to be vented, the drain side will need to be tied to an airtight drain (sewer gas). I had a home with basement and the washer did drain down to a sump pump (it was airtight and connected to a roof vent). It did pump the water up about seven feet to get to the main drain pipe, then gravity took over. But to go across living space, always a possible leak, and what about the 14 foot high column of water in the pipe when the pump turns off. A check valve will just leave water in the pipe but wash water has a lot of lint suspended in it and eventually it will cause problems.
Also, pump specification sheets will usually have a chart that gives the gallons per minute versed the height (rise). The higher it is the lower the rate. Remember, the pump is fighting gravity. What could happen is the washing machine may discharge more water than the pump can handle and if the sump tank is too small you'll have a back up.
Start cutting concrete, you can rent a concrete saw for far less that going the pump way. As I say, gravity always wins.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at other options. Again, you will be looking at much more than $200.

At some point, it may not be economical to move a washer, dryer and water heater. Only you can decide that. Still, I think you got all three in the wrong places. They all shouldn't be in living spaces, but in places where a potential flood is not going to be a disaster (like garage or basement). In my city, many homes have their water heaters outside the house, in metal sheds.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks