Moving sink to Island - Proper Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Rob Rose

Reaction score
Hey guys I have never posted to this site but read and learned a few things recently. I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen. The center island sink will be around 12 feet away from the current sink. I have finished a 12" trench (in the slab) and ready to run all the pipe in accordance with a few island installations I have read up on. I noticed my install is a bit different wondering if you guys can comment before I close this thing up?
The drain is dropping a bit more the 1/4" per foot. The vent pipe is rising up a few inches over path.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2,748
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 7,712
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 3,238

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"The vent pipe is rising up a few inches over path."

Not if it's rising. the island vent is plumbed downward to a drain.
Off of that, they pull a foot vent, which also drains downward. The foot vent gets a cleanout above the floor.

islandsinkvent-redwood.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Rose

Reaction score
"The vent pipe is rising up a few inches over path."

Not if it's rising. the island vent is plumbed downward to a drain.
Off of that, they pull a foot vent, which also drains downward. The foot vent gets a cleanout above the floor.

Thanks for reply! I have seen so many drawings . . . I am understanding that I only need a foot vent, if the pipe is rising? If I get it to drop, then I don't need the foot vent? This way there is no water trapped in the vent pipe? Notice on my setup the drain and vent are on the same vertical pipe. So the water coming from rain, would drop straight down? Would condensation still be an issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Rose

Reaction score
BTW, thanks smoky now I see what you are asking . . never dawned on me that water and or condensation would be coming from roof! dur!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"Notice on my setup the drain and vent are on the same vertical pipe. So the water coming from rain, would drop straight down? Would condensation still be an issue?"

The vent ties back into the waste. Before it does that, a vent is taken off. It can tie back quickly or not quickly.

Rob Rose

Reaction score
"Notice on my setup the drain and vent are on the same vertical pipe. So the water coming from rain, would drop straight down? Would condensation still be an issue?"

The vent ties back into the waste. Before it does that, a vent is taken off. It can tie back quickly or not quickly.

Ok now you confused me! :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
At the "low point of the vent", wherever that is, you need TWO "y"s "facing each other, (flowing in the right directions), to handle the condensation or rainwater.

Rob Rose

Reaction score
At the "low point of the vent", wherever that is, you need TWO "y"s "facing each other, (flowing in the right directions), to handle the condensation or rainwater.
What kind of problems will I encounter with moisture in the vent?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you are running hot water down the sink drain some steam will go up into the vent and condense. Over time it will build up. Rain water may come down the pipe and drip into this dip/low place in the vent pipe. Maybe you will have a blockage and water will back up into this vent pipe. If the water cannot drain down, it will fill up with water. If it is full of water it will not vent. ….You could re-do it as was suggested or you could install an Air Admittance Valve such as a Studor Mini Vent if that is allowed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks