Moving Sink Faucet plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by dumbunusedid, Nov 3, 2008.

  1. dumbunusedid

    dumbunusedid New Member

    Oct 27, 2008
    Southern Louisiana

    We have a master bathroom sink/vanity that we are looking to replace. There are several issues ;) but the one I am looking for advice on (first) is the plumbing. The current vanity is a 24" + 24" + 18" combination setup. The sink is WAY over to the left in the first 24" cabinet. We are looking to get a 36" or 48" cabinet with the sink away from the left side wall more. The problem is that the plumbing is very close to the side wall. I have attached a drawing of the undercabinet with the distances of each component to the sidewall. It looks like I will have to go through a stud if I want to move these over much.

    Any recommendation of how to simplify this process? We would love to have usable drawers in the sink vanity but I will need to have at least 12" clearance from the wall before the plumbing starts to accomplish that.

    How much can I move these components outside of the wall? or should we just go ahead and hire us a plumber to move them within the wall?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated... also if you know how I can fashion some less-expensive base cabinets than the crappy ones in the bath section at the bigbox store, I would love to hear them!


    Attached Files:

  2. Southern Man

    Southern Man DIY Hillbilly

    Jun 27, 2008
    North Carolina
    Sink bases are the worst for storage so if that is a priority then get one as small as possible and get drawer or shelf units to make up the space. Also, new vanity heights are taller than the old style so you'll have that much extra room under the sink as well.

    Of course you have to plan the plumbing out first. As long as you have both supplies and drain connection you can use quick connect hoses and 1-1/2" trap, tailpieces and extensions to get where you must go.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. Terry

    Terry Administrator Staff Member

    Aug 17, 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    If you want to go with 36" or 48" and move the inwall plumbing to miss drawers, then you may want to bring in a plumber.
    Some cabinets have drawers that don't go all the way back, if that is the case you may be able to use the existing locations and 90 over for the drain.
Similar Threads: Moving Sink
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Moving sink Jan 15, 2016
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Moving Bathroom Sink Drain Plumbing Sep 27, 2015
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Moving Sink but not plumbing. Jun 20, 2015
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Can I replace drain on pedestal sink without removing sink?? Mar 19, 2015
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Removing faucet from SS sink; nut coroded to underplate Mar 15, 2015

Share This Page