Moving Sink but not plumbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

rayc325

Reaction score
Hi, I am moving my vanity sink from the left side, where the plumbing is coming out of the wall, to the center. The problem is connecting the sink tailpiece to the drain. That is a 1 1/2" connection coming from the wall. Are there elbows or adapters to do this? I tried this extension but it doesn't seem to work.
IMG_1600.JPG

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you want to do is a real bad idea. Don't do it. Don't use this corrugated bad idea.
We move sinks all the time, and every time we have to custom fit the drain.
If you have knowledge in doing just that, do the custom fitting, otherwise, find a plumber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The trap will only protect the room from sewer smells from things PAST it...that corregated pipe will accumulate lots of soap scum, hair, etc., and begin to smell really nasty fairly soon. Use smooth walled drain tubing. You can add a couple of elbows in there, I think, to get things to align. It's never great to have that tubing leading to the drain very long, but it can work. Without opening the wall, you'll never know if there's an easy way to do it in the wall.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good example of bad things that are sold to unsuspecting DIY. Just because stores stock them doesn't make them proper.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree; not a big fan of the gooseneck thingy. I will sometimes use a slip-joint 45 to get me over to a relocated lavatory drain.

rayc325

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies..I didn't really think that would work. Went to Low es and found somethings I think might work better..How's this?

IMG_1603.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
That will work as long as the horizontal section is sloped towards the trap. IF it is level or slopes back, you'll have issues. Waste doesn't flow uphill very well!

I'm assuming that there's a vertical pipe from the bottom of the sink. The height of the sink outlet needs to be above where the outlet of the p-trap goes into the wall.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like the horizontal run would stay full of waste water. Is there a reason you have the trap reversed?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
No. You need to remove the trap adapter in the wall and use a 45 there to bring the trap arm towards the trap. The trap needs to stay on the bottom of the sink tailpiece.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
From the sink down, at the bottom of the drain set, that's where the P trap should be, then an arm to the drain in the wall.
Angles and length of drain lines can be decided on the spot - this is what customizing your drain means..

Your latest picture proposal is not good.

rayc325

Reaction score
Is this better? I connected the 90 to the hub? from the wall. Of course it would slop towards the drain. I am not sure how the 45 would work? A diagram would help . Thanks..

IMG_1612.jpg
IMG_1613.jpg

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Yes, that's better but the horizontal still needs to slope to the drain at least 1/4" per foot otherwise, stuff will tend to accumulate there. A 90-degree isn't ideal...a 45 would be better. The trap can be at any 'wrap', so in your situation, the inlet to the trap could be to the left with the outlet to the right

rayc325

Reaction score
Thanks Jim,
I still don't understand how the 45 would work as it is male on both ends and I need female to screw to the hub, right?

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just cut a short piece of pipe from one of your parts and install it in the trap adapter at the wall. Then attach the slip joint 45 to that and go from there. Hopefully, that assembly will get you over to the vicinity of the lavatory drain, and you can properly install the trap directly beneath the lavatory.

rayc325

Reaction score
Got it..but here's what happens with the 45 - trap is out to far ahead of tailpiece.

with 45.jpg

And my friendly HD "plumber" recommended this. Using all 1 1/2 " glued in..

1 1.2.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
If he was a plumber, he'd be out there doing it, making four times the money. Looks like another slip joint 45 might get you connected. Gluing up a lavatory drain can make things difficult for someone later on if you get a clog.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It looks like you can make that work with a tailpiece extension. You don't want to exceed 1/4" per foot in pitch between the trap and the vent in the wall.

rayc325

Reaction score
By George, I think I've got it..! Used 2 45s..Thanks everyone ;)

Attachments

• with 2 45s.jpg
    with 2 45s.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 7,626
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks